OEM exhaust?

coopersim

MY 1.0 has developed a fist sized hole in the back box and now sounds more Massey Ferguson than German Engineering.... Can you still get VW exhausts for the 1.0 Lupo? If not, what are people using to get as close to VW quality as possible?

Thanks!

Saw the back box off, weld in a straight pipe :P

Or weld a plate over it.

Or if you don't fancy welding, take a baked bean tin, cut both ends off, flatten it, gun gum it to the back box, then wrap it with some metal tie wraps.

If you're desperate to replace, any garage can do it, but you'll probably pay a reasonable whack.

This is a DIY job, so I was hoping for recommendations of standard OEM quality parts, but there don't seem to be any!

the problem is, unless it's been changed before, you'll almost certainly have a one piece exhaust. Replacing a one piece exhaust on axle stands isn't so easy.

TPS used to sell what was known as Economy Range for older VAG cars and I have an old catalogue from 2013 which lists a rear box for the Lupo. I assume that VW dealers also sell the Economy range but it is usually a fair bit cheaper from TPS if you know someone who has an account or if your local branch will sell to you.

It is a fairly easy job to hacksaw through the original exhaust - VW even put marks on showing where to cut but you will need the clamping piece to join the new box if it has not been done previously.

MAKE SURE THE REAR OF THE CAR IS SECURE - IF YOU ONLY HAVE AXLE STANDS RATHER THAN WHEEL RAMPS IT IS BEST TO USE SOME BLOCKS UNDERNEATH AS WELL.

Edited by Kermit Girl

TPS used to sell what was known as Economy Range for older VAG cars and I have an old catalogue from 2013 which lists a rear box for the Lupo. I assume that VW dealers also sell the Economy range but it is usually a fair bit cheaper from TPS if you know someone who has an account or if your local branch will sell to you.

It is a fairly easy job to hacksaw through the original exhaust - VW even put marks on showing where to cut but you will need the clamping piece to join the new box if it has not been done previously.

MAKE SURE THE REAR OF THE CAR IS SECURE - IF YOU ONLY HAVE AXLE STANDS RATHER THAN WHEEL RAMPS IT IS BEST TO USE SOME BLOCKS UNDERNEATH AS WELL.

This! Get an economy backbox, saw old one off, join new one with clamp, job done.

Or £45 delivered for an entire system built from chocolate...

I only do very short journeys and a cheap system will last about a year under these circumstamces

I forgot to mention that I fitted a VW Economy exhaust to our Lupo so can confirm that it is good quality and has lasted well.

• 2 weeks later...

hahaha! i usually just get my exhaust cut into 3 sections then if something needs replacing they replace it and its always cheaper in the long run.

Not a bad idea.

Not a bad idea.

haha cheers. had it done on all cars in the family. just means they cant charge you for the full system :D lupo at the moment is starting to develop a whole so ill just wait until i get a new exhaust before i do the 3 piece sectioning

Was only charged £94 in the end, so am glad with that. It comes in two sections anyway so won't be difficult to replace, plus it's all genuine according to the stamps on the boxes, so should last probably longer than the car now!

Was only charged £94 in the end, so am glad with that. It comes in two sections anyway so won't be difficult to replace, plus it's all genuine according to the stamps on the boxes, so should last probably longer than the car now!

The exact reason it was a total waste of money... if you ask me :)

Problem is skezza, there are only two options - total garbage that lasts 6 months and costs around £60, or a decent one that will last and be OEM quality for £30 more, it's a total non brainer........ if you ask me :)

Problem is skezza, there are only two options - total garbage that lasts 6 months and costs around £60, or a decent one that will last and be OEM quality for £30 more, it's a total non brainer........ if you ask me :)

Or a 75p bean can that will last you for years? I kept saying that before ;) A quarter of the work, a 100th of the price and no real lost in performance or fuel economy if done right (that's the key).

The bean can fix is known to last for absolutely years (and I've seen it done on far more powerful cars than little Lupo's). If you do it right with proper prep (exhaust putty first, a layer of aluminium tape second, bean can third with 3 or more stainless steel jubilee clips 40mm-60mm, leave for a few hours, start and allow to warm up to operating temperature, then drive properly the next day) then it really is worth doing over replacing your exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, credit where it's due, attention to detail and all that I respect, but really, these cars are getting old now. Unless you're desperate to keep this car forever (or own a GTI), then haemorrhaging money on OEM parts like exhausts and suspension is just a mugs game for me. Still, it's good to have the knowledge on the forum.

Edited by Skezza

Are you seriously recommending someone fixes their car with a bean can, and also saying it's a quarter of the work? I assume you mean to use a bean can and make some kind of sleeve. Not much use when lupo exhausts normally fail at the welded connections, or the outer layers of the backbox start peeling off and the casing cracks.

Just because my Lupo's are 'old' I'm not planning on scrapping them any time soon, so why would I want an exhaust fixed with a bean can. I want to fix and repair them properly. OEM parts are great, and economy parts from TPS really are quite good value. I think coopersim is right, the TPS parts are a no brainer.