1.4tdi to pd130????

MikeP

Hello, recently blown the turbo in my TDI and I need another one which I'm in the process of getting! Just wondering if anyone has ever done a pd130 in to a TDI? If anyone has any advice on doing the conversion would be amazing!! Just need a few questions answering!! ?

as said been done.... check out darkside developements.... or there is a guy on here in the forsale section with a 3l converted 1.9.

if its only the turbo. id replace that first with a more powerfull unit and a remap. great little engine the 3 pot

as said been done.... check out darkside developements.... or there is a guy on here in the forsale section with a 3l converted 1.9.

if its only the turbo. id replace that first with a more powerfull unit and a remap. great little engine the 3 pot

Are they strong enough to handle a bigger turbo?

Are they strong enough to handle a bigger turbo?

Yes. You can rub a fair bit more power standard apparently. The injectors will need replaced and the second weak link is the gearbox and clutch. This is if you have a big turbo that is. I've heard 140-170bhp banded arounded.

Any suggestions on what turbo to use?? Thank you all for advice much appreciated

So you haven't outlined what power you wish to run. What sort of lag your would mind. If you are going to run a bigger or fmic. What your budget is.

Where you going to get it remapped from?

Edited by Dblock

So you haven't outlined what power you wish to run. What sort of lag your would mind. If you are going to run a bigger or fmic. What your budget is.

Where you going to get it remapped from?

I can deal with any amount of lag, price, and i can go anywhere for a map, I'm getting another engine in the next week or so, I'm going to put the turbo off of the there engine on to my engine for now, and play with the engine I'm getting, as I say I can deal with any amount of lag, and price, it can all be done when I have the money really, I'm not fussed about rushing it all, I'm happy to buy everything piece by piece and do it all and make sure everything is spot on :)

So you'd be happy to have lag till 3.5krpm? You will lose all drivability and it might have a good dyno figure but be slow on the road?

Play with the engine?

Well obviously I want it too be driveable but I want it to be faster than it is, have you done anything with the TDI engines yourself? As in put a bigger turbo on, changed injectors, mapped ect?

Well obviously I want it too be driveable but I want it to be faster than it is, have you done anything with the TDI engines yourself? As in put a bigger turbo on, changed injectors, mapped ect?

Nope. I don't see the point. My tdi is used for driving on the cheap. If you want that done go to darkside devolpments. But it won't be cheap and a faster car would be better in almost all aspects.

You should look about adding a VNT turbo to your car. See if you can do that.

if keeping the 3 pot.... you could achieve around 140hp by adding a 1749v turbo also bigger injectors like the arl.... then obviosly youd need an uprated clutch flywheel and perhaps a 6 speex box to cope with the power and torque the 3 pot would produce.

you should be looking at 140ish hp and over 200 torque.... and still 50mpg

then if you would like more say 170hp. your talking alot more pennys n torque and one crazy 3 pot

but if your wanting out rite power, id just fit the 1.9/2.0 as it would be more cost effective, also more power gain etc.... list is endless. the limit would be your wallet

Not really. With the 1.4 small power. To make serious power your only way is turbo. The faster the engine spins more gas and turbo etc etc. so if your power come at 3.5k and cuts out at 4.5k is it really worth it. Also I very much doubt you would get 50mpg and have that much power due to the way the car would have to be driven. Foot to the floor all the time.

thats where custom maps come in. not generic

basically. if you want quick fun just give it a generic map. if you want crazy 3pot you will have to spend.

if your wanting out n out power and your pockets have no limit go for the bigger 4pot derv

and while your at it put a build thread up id love to read it

thats where custom maps come in. not generic

basically. if you want quick fun just give it a generic map. if you want crazy 3pot you will have to spend.

if your wanting out n out power and your pockets have no limit go for the bigger 4pot derv

and while your at it put a build thread up id love to read it

How could a custom map stop lag? That's the nature of the beast physics and all that's.

A larger turbo needs more gas to spin it. No amount of mapping could fix that.

How could a custom map stop lag? That's the nature of the beast physics and all that's.

A larger turbo needs more gas to spin it. No amount of mapping could fix that.

i never mentioned anything about lag. the guy wanted to know what type of modding could be done. lag can be dialled out to a degree.....

i have an rs turbo 1.6 with a huge t35 turbo strapped to it, custom map ecu cam etc..... is it laggy? yes. but not as laggy as you think

a 1749v wouldnt make too much of a difference. its not like strapping a gt28 rs to a 3 pot lol

you could go nuts and get a custom cam grind and maybe change the compression ratio.... that could change the spooling of the turbo..... but i doubt anyones played so far with the 3 pot derv.....

I was talking about lag. Your first like was that's where custom mapping comes in. I am no stranger to it but a mapper has to match power to fuel consumption. No point in getting uprated everything and running 100bhp just to get 50mpg.

The 1.4 engine is pretty pointless to tune as a 1.9 will do everything better.

Also diesels are different to petrols. Hot cams would just move the power band even further up and why would you change the compression ratio? It's not like a spark goes off it has to be silly high for a diesel.

read up where it all started from lol.

mapping will smooth things out thats why its there. the op asked for tuning options the 1.9 is obviously a far easier option as i first stated. the 1.4 can be tuned. pistons and cams can change the engine and map. as can a better turbo and injectors and headwork. how do you think tuning companys do it?

some of the fastest drag cars are diesel

read up where it all started from lol.

mapping will smooth things out thats why its there. the op asked for tuning options the 1.9 is obviously a far easier option as i first stated. the 1.4 can be tuned. pistons and cams can change the engine and map. as can a better turbo and injectors and headwork. how do you think tuning companys do it?

some of the fastest drag cars are diesel

I'm not denying diesels can be fast but how nice do you think a drag diesel drives on the road. Again it pushes all the power up top as a drag diesel is used full throttle near red line in all gears. People don't drive like that on the road.

You would be having to run crazy power to need new pistons. Your rods would probably bend before you needed pistons. But anyways that why the 1.4 isn't worth it. A 1.9tdi with a moderate turbo makes more power but also has a much broader powerband. So let's say both engines for arguments are running 170bhp and 200nm torque just for easyness. The 1.4 makes 170 at 4.5rpm but gets 80% of it's power at 3.5krpm and peak torque is reached at 4krpm but again only starting about 3-3.5krpm. The 1.9tdi with a moderate turbo will make the same power but at 4.5krpm but 80% being made a 2krpm. Torque peaks at say 4k but 80% from 2.5k. So you see what I mean more useable power. That's just an example.

It's the same with say a supra. Most of the 1000bhp supras are dyno queens. Their numbers are stunning but on the road it's nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, here we go, damn!!, chnage gear. Where as in something with 600-800bhp with a smaller turbo the turbo spools much quicker giving a broader powerband.

hence why i gave the op a few options mr block lol. and also said the 4 pot would be easiest option....

yes you would have to be running crazy power to change pistons and rods.... have a read of what i put....

thankyou lol

hence why i gave the op a few options mr block lol. and also said the 4 pot would be easiest option....

yes you would have to be running crazy power to change pistons and rods.... have a read of what i put....

thankyou lol

Your worse than that guy looking for a 1k 300bhp lupo :tongueout: