Project Rally lupo!

cj1

6 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

taking twenty thou off, how much does that increase the compression ration by?

Should be about 10.9:1 , standard about 10.2:1 :-) 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm really happy with how it turned out! Small 8mm thread in the middle for securing a spare wheel as well. The under seal makes the welding interesting with it catching fire constantly! Just need to paint it now :-) 

Tell me about the underseal! Just burn it off ;) Are you welding an M8 bolt on to the underside? I think I would have gone for something like 150mm M10 thread rod with a nut on the end welded in place so it's a spike. Did you weigh the before and after bits?

Edited by mattarosa

1 minute ago, mattarosa said:

Tell me about the underseal! Just burn it off ;) Are you welding an M8 bolt on from the otherwise? I think I would have gone for something like 150mm M10 thread rod with a nut on the end welded in place so it's a spike. Did you weigh the before and after bits?

There's a 20mm piece of box section that sits underneath the middle of this plate, then we have welded a captive 8mm nut inside of this. Got an 8mm rod and alloy spacer that holds the wheel down, plenty strong enough :-). Sadly I didn't, should have! 

"It's all to save weight" ;) I won't weigh them. I was wondering about the thread on such a thin piece of metal, the captive but has now answer that query. Do as a guy I work with does and just bundgie strap everything! No need for proper fixings!

1 minute ago, mattarosa said:

"It's all to save weight" ;) I won't weigh them. I was wondering about the thread on such a thin piece of metal, the captive but has now answer that query. Do as a guy I work with does and just bundgie strap everything! No need for proper fixings!

Haha that would save even more weight! You can't really tell from either of the pictures but the sheet has been plug welded to the rod underneath as well, just smoothed it off a lot! 

9 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Nope can't tell at all, spraying it body coloured?

Yeah I will be :-) 

26 minutes ago, WRC said:

i just finished another race. set up on oil temperature gauge and tracked the millers nanodrive oil. 100 degrees C after a 25min race...very good oil. 

Nice! Where did you finish this time? What gauge are you using? 

Inlet manifold for the new engine has arrived, lovely! Also the tubing has compensated perfectly for the 2mm difference between manifold and throttle body spacing, so no need to fabricate a fuel rail for it now! 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Exhaust almost fully on, just got a bit late to be grinding on the path! Also just put the bonnet pins in the new GTI one, seemed a shame to drill it though! 

Got the AFH head and block back today , will begin rebuilding that tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...

Update from this last month of just not finding the time to update this

GTI doors fitted

engine (1.0) beginning to come out this weekend in preparation for AFH engine. Just done a rally inAnglesey , 50th o/a and 7th in class. 

Had ad the car weighed and it comes isn't xxxkg, which seems massively heavier than I expected. Not really sure where to go from here other than it needs to be lighter. 

Edited by cj1