Project Rally lupo!

cj1

• Removing original seat runners (drilling spot welds) - 1 hour each side
  • Fitting the new seat rails and mounting plates - 1 hour each side..

Took us around 4 hours to do the whole job. That seems awfully long!

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned earlier, without pics, here's one of both seats test fitted on the rails!

7A50FC21-C134-4876-B29A-20A07B3C9D37.jpg

Shame it's all been stripped back down for the roll cage! Made a small start this weekend just gone, cut the main hoop down in length to fit in position. The cage will need a few tubes re-cutting/shaping to fit together!

63DE6D22-EFC1-4004-8F57-6B6F1C249844.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

6 or 4 points harnesses?

do you have a manual for instructions for fitting the harnesses? 

6 point! There might be something in the box but they're in the garage. I can check for you if you like but i'm sure there will be a guide on the web that is much quicker!

This is ace :)

And I thought my loop was stripped out lol

Ha thanks! I've just had a look at your thread, looks good! There is still more weight to be lost though, even if it is a daily.... because race car? 

So rad, defiantly going to be following this build

Thanks! :) 

Quick update: 

• I have the front GTI calipers and discs ready to fit, unfortunately I've been let down by two people now on getting some hubs/carriers suitable for them. Hoping that I can source some soon and get these fitted.
  • The two rear stays sent with the roll cage appear to be mis-shaped at the end, the angles aren't quite right compared to the diagram/pictures we've been sent and they don't align properly. Replacements are on their way and hopefully some progress can be made with that. It's pretty much a case of getting the cage fitted next, once that's done the rear brake lines can be ran through the car and make the car move-able again!
  • After receiving the renewal for my non-race nat b, decided it's time to bite the bullet and pay for the "Go Rallying pack" - the first step in acquiring my driving competition licence. Need to arrange a BARS test once this arrives.
  • Also got a hydraulic handbrake kit that will be fitted at the same time as running the rear brake lines through the car.
  • 6 point harnesses have arrived. 

I have quite a few parts waiting to be fitted now, just a case of getting the cage in then going from there.  The plan is still aiming for my first event to be march/april time. 

After buying the GTI rear beam off Jambro on here a few months back, he managed to tempt me with the engine, and now i've got a 1600 out of a GTI sat in the garage!  :thumbup: Although the first few events will still be using the standard 1.0 just to get a feel for the car and get out there and have fun  :yes:

Disappointing to see no progress but the motivation is still there, and i'm sure that it won't be too long till I'm ready to go!  :thumbup:

Edited by cj1

wonderful!! good luck!

am will pass the license exam in spring..my last training course license expired ..and also i need a new category...

i let the car at the mechanic to have the seat belts mounted... hopefully will fit perfectly :D

Nice! When are you expecting to have it back?

• 2 weeks later...

2 days of work in total (daylight). And apart from a few small bits needing welding the cage is in. Amazing how you can work outside in December without large costs and still be warm enough!

harness points to be mounted soon, and painting of cage/inside the car. Once that's done its brake line time! :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

We've now boxed in the A pillars of the cage at the bottom, cage fitting completed.

started fitting seatbelt points however ran out of gas, been quite unlucky with both wire and gas running out in the space of two days. 

So instead of welding we cut the dashboard out at the sides to fit, and had a trial fit of wheel/seat to see how easy it would be getting in now the cage is in, and how much room there was.

Got a brake bias valve to reduce pressure to the rear lines and a t-piece to split the one line to the rear brakes. This will be fitted after all the cleaning/painting has been done.

image.jpeg

On 12/16/2015 at 9:46 AM, bogdan_wrc said:

what oil will you be using?

on my S3 i had Motul 300v, and now, on the Lupo i used nanodrive, but i did not feel any difference...

but i had no way to track the oil temperatures...shall i mount an oil indicator? 

nice development :) in Febr i will start the rollbar also. until then..new training wheels, custom exhaust..

Today we made a bracket to fit the hyrdaulic handbrake to, and a bracket for a brake bias valve.. Also removed all the brake lines for the rear from underneath the car.  Tomorrow maybe beginning to run brake lines to the rear.

Also primed some of the unpainted metal ready to get it all painted and cleaned up.