Project Rally lupo!

cj1

• 6 months later...

Had a relatively quiet year competing. But considering moving up to the 1600cc class and building a new engine. 

Need to get new belts over winter as mine are now out of date for competition, and got a few other little upgrades planned. More to follow. 

34 minutes ago, Rich said:

Polo GTi lump?

You may be useful to ask this actually. 

Ultimately, this is a very high level plan, but I'm thinking a AVY bottom end with the AFH head in some configuration.  

This should allow a number of things: 02T Gearbox (Do any of the other 02 Boxes fit? ) , which means I can get a proper gear kit for it, and is more reliable, etc etc. 

Are the Polo & Lupo GTI AVY Bottom ends the same? 

I notice quaife only do gear kits for the 02M/02Q.... 

I need to properly research all of the above before any decision is made :)

In fact, from memory, the polo GTI AVY mounts to an 085 box I think? Which I want to avoid using in any future build if possible. 

Would also like to retain the bolt in flanges on the driveshaft, does the 02T use this? Funnily enough I've just bought a Lupo GTI so I may be underneath later on checking this out! 

Edited by cj1

18 minutes ago, cj1 said:

In fact, from memory, the polo GTI AVY mounts to an 085 box I think? Which I want to avoid using in any future build if possible. 

Would also like to retain the bolt in flanges on the driveshaft, does the 02T use this? Funnily enough I've just bought a Lupo GTI so I may be underneath later on checking this out! 

the 6 speed on my gti uses bolt in flanges, ive just fitted a quaife atb in it (all works fine), but noticed that most places list the box as an 02T, however im sure the ELSAWIN software calls it an 02U

Edited by imaparana

AFH heads are pretty rare plus any I have seen pop up for sale recently are priced accordingly.

Polo and Lupo AVY blocks are different  - Lupo block has cut out for starter on front for the 02T box / its on the rear for the polo  - lupo sump is unique, the section next to the flywheel acts as support for box.

Whatever block you choose I would go with the block that gives you the biggest choice of gearboxes - for me this would rule the Lupo AVY out.

If your going to build a Frankenstein engine, with different block and head - look into Alloy block 1.6 engines.

Does the number of cams make a difference in the 1600 class - sub section for 8 and 16 valve engines? - you get 1.6 alloy block 8v cross-flow engines - think of the 8v torque!

Edited by LR5V

On 11/14/2019 at 11:03 PM, LR5V said:

AFH heads are pretty rare plus any I have seen pop up for sale recently are priced accordingly.

Polo and Lupo AVY blocks are different  - Lupo block has cut out for starter on front for the 02T box / its on the rear for the polo  - lupo sump is unique, the section next to the flywheel acts as support for box.

Whatever block you choose I would go with the block that gives you the biggest choice of gearboxes - for me this would rule the Lupo AVY out.

If your going to build a Frankenstein engine, with different block and head - look into Alloy block 1.6 engines.

Does the number of cams make a difference in the 1600 class - sub section for 8 and 16 valve engines? - you get 1.6 alloy block 8v cross-flow engines - think of the 8v torque!

Thanks for the info! I do have a spare AFH engine in the garage. Albeit disassembled but all parts are present! 

I'll do some research and report back. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 3:40 PM, cj1 said:

You may be useful to ask this actually. 

Ultimately, this is a very high level plan, but I'm thinking a AVY bottom end with the AFH head in some configuration.  

This should allow a number of things: 02T Gearbox (Do any of the other 02 Boxes fit? ) , which means I can get a proper gear kit for it, and is more reliable, etc etc. 

Are the Polo & Lupo GTI AVY Bottom ends the same? 

I notice quaife only do gear kits for the 02M/02Q.... 

I need to properly research all of the above before any decision is made :)

As far as I've looked into it, the 02M/J/Q ar not a bolt on from various reasons. One of them beeing that the small block 16v engines are leaned forward and the ones that use those gearboxes are leaned toward the back.

Another problem is the difference in bolt pattern of the driveshafts between these gearboxes.

For simplicity, i would go for 02T which is very similar to 02U installed in newer VAG cars such as MK5 1.6 FSI, 1.4 TSI and other small block engines, and you can try mixing and matching ratios. Personally, when i swapped a Lupo 6 speed into my 9N Polo, it was such a big difference at higher speeds, the acceleration in 3rd and 4th was a lot nicer because of the closer ratios and i also noticed the extra speed picked up in first gear, from the longer ratio. They are rated to aprox 200 NM, which is enough, because with your setup, you won't exceed that.

• 2 years later...