Project Rally lupo!

cj1

40 minutes ago, cj1 said:

The class generally depends on the event we enter. It's either up to 1400cc or 1001cc-1400cc generally!

Do you mean like there's not many modifications to the appearance of the car? 

yeah. they need to look almost stock. have a read of the rules online.... basically a vdub factory class.

• 2 weeks later...

Competed in The Cetus Stages at Three Sisters on Sunday. 

On Saturday we were changing the front discs & pads and noticed a lot of water dripping out the back of the engine somewhere. Turns out the plastic pipe that  goes across the back of the block from the thermostat housing was dripping from the bottom fitting. Took it to bits and noticed the O ring had completely perished and the plastic was broken on both ends of the pipe. At 7pm everywhere but b&q was closed so we went to their plumbing section and made a makeshift seal with two o rings and lots of ptfe tape. 

Re-assembled and bottom fitting wasn’t leaking, but the one on the thermostat housing was, had to cut up a spare bigger ring and make a smaller one. Still leaked but got us through the day. 

Finished 2nd in class out of 16 and 21st overall out of 51! 

3E570D89-4010-405E-AD11-6716EB761711.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Since May there have been some significant changes to the car. 

Polybushed the front bottom arms (The plates are a bit of a PITA to fit at the same time as pushing the arm in!). 

Gone back to the standard 18mm arb, the 22mm one seemed too stiff, improved turn in by reverting back. 

Been overheating slightly but think this may have been fan related. Caused us to retire from one event. 

Still going well! 

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had a realisation. 

Earlier this year I had the coolant cap off and noticed that the rubber ring gasket was cracked, so just took it off.

Thinking about it now, I'd be willing to bet this is related to the overheating. Works out perfectly timing wise, and would explain why pressure testing through the expansion bottle was always fine...

I so hope the new one I've ordered fixes it! 

(I'll write more about the ARB soon :)

we competed in the Adgespeed stages on Sunday, glad to say the coolant cap solved the overheating issue.  however we now have another issue.

Drivers side driveshaft inner joint failed, not under power either. Either it was worn, or was pulled out. The cage with the balls in was fine too, no cracks. will post some pictures of this later but at the minute I'm stumped.

Could adjusting the camber to -1.5 deg make the driveshaft too short by moving the hub outwards? Hmmm. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So I'm mindful that I haven't really been keeping on top of this, so I'll try and summarise recent changes I've made over the last year or so along with what I've got to do. 

• I fitted a gearbox with a LSD.. Had a few issues with driveshafts but only one true "failure" - as mentioned above. The others have been driver error, giving it full throttle on full lock. Can't get away with that anymore!
  • The above mentioned gearbox was one of the 085 boxes with a 3.7:1 F/D ratio. The grip difference was huge, but so was the difference in the gearing. It was awful. We never got out of 3rd, even going down the straight at cadwell park at 98mph with plenty left to go. 
  • Following this event, gearbox was removed from the car for a rebuild with different ratios. Happy to say after 3-400 competition miles there was no wear at all on the diff or the synchros etc. so didn't replace any of these. 
  • Rebuilt gearbox is now back in and ready to test 

In terms of what's next. 

• Fit another handheld extinguisher
  • Roll rear arches properly. 
  • Get both sides & front bumper painted.
  • New n/s wing.
  • Service - Oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, wash air filter etc. 
  • A general overall clean
  • New doorcards to go in - neaten the inside up a bit more 
  • MOT (Being done next week)
  • Fit Silver Project Top mounts
  • Fabricate solid engine & gearbox mounts.

Overall the car has been really reliable with only one retirement due to my error with the coolant cap, so I'm hoping to keep it that way. Potentially look at building a new engine this year, but for now it's fun & reliable so why change a good thing. 

However, I started the car up on stands the other night to run through all the gears and check they engage as they should. And they did. But I noticed a bit of smoke in the garage. Seems the cause of this is from the crankcase breather. In my case this doesn't go back into the intake, just vented into a bottle. But the smoke is unusual and I haven't noticed this before. However the car has been sat for just over 3 months with the front end up in the air without being ran so I'm wondering if it's just because of that. I'll take it for a proper drive soon and see what happens, hopefully it clears up. If not I suspect the rings probably need changing. But we will see. 

The smoke isn't particularly thick or of any distinct white/blue colour mind... 

Edited by cj1

1 hour ago, cj1 said:

So I'm mindful that I haven't really been keeping on top of this, so I'll try and summarise recent changes I've made over the last year or so along with what I've got to do. 

• I fitted a gearbox with a LSD.. Had a few issues with driveshafts but only one true "failure" - as mentioned above. The others have been driver error, giving it full throttle on full lock. Can't get away with that anymore! 
  • The above mentioned gearbox was one of the 085 boxes with a 3.7:1 F/D ratio. The grip difference was huge, but so was the difference in the gearing. It was awful. We never got out of 3rd, even going down the straight at cadwell park at 98mph with plenty left to go. 
  • Following this event, gearbox was removed from the car for a rebuild with different ratios. Happy to say after 3-400 competition miles there was no wear at all on the diff or the synchros etc. so didn't replace any of these. 
  • Rebuilt gearbox is now back in and ready to test  

In terms of what's next. 

• Fit another handheld extinguisher
  • Roll rear arches properly. 
  • Get both sides & front bumper painted.
  • New n/s wing.
  • Service - Oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, wash air filter etc. 
  • A general overall clean
  • New doorcards to go in - neaten the inside up a bit more 
  • MOT (Being done next week)
  • Fit Silver Project Top mounts
  • Fabricate solid engine & gearbox mounts.

Overall the car has been really reliable with only one retirement due to my error with the coolant cap, so I'm hoping to keep it that way. Potentially look at building a new engine this year, but for now it's fun & reliable so why change a good thing.  

However, I started the car up on stands the other night to run through all the gears and check they engage as they should. And they did. But I noticed a bit of smoke in the garage. Seems the cause of this is from the crankcase breather. In my case this doesn't go back into the intake, just vented into a bottle. But the smoke is unusual and I haven't noticed this before. However the car has been sat for just over 3 months with the front end up in the air without being ran so I'm wondering if it's just because of that. I'll take it for a proper drive soon and see what happens, hopefully it clears up. If not I suspect the rings probably need changing. But we will see.  

The smoke isn't particularly thick or of any distinct white/blue colour mind... 

Nice update, What was the issue with full power on full clock? did it mess up the CV's

In terms of the smoke out of your breather, I noticed when I had mine running again after the 3 months of sitting there was smoke out of my catch can, I put this down to condensation burning off as it hadn't been used in so long, mines quite a low mileage standard engine to.

29 minutes ago, imaparana said:

Nice update, What was the issue with full power on full clock? did it mess up the CV's

In terms of the smoke out of your breather, I noticed when I had mine running again after the 3 months of sitting there was smoke out of my catch can, I put this down to condensation burning off as it hadn't been used in so long, mines quite a low mileage standard engine to.

Yes exactly, it snapped the inner cv on the passenger side. I ideally need to be adding some lock stops to restrict how much lock I can get, but for now I'll just remember to be careful!

Ahh that makes me feel better. It was running perfectly before doing any of this work, so nothing can have suddenly changed, I suspect it will go away. It did start dying down after a while. 

Well. I took the car for a drive and wow. What a difference. The gearing is miles better!

but that’s where the positive ends. Thought I’d do the spark plugs. Cylinder 1 is full of oil 😰😭

Well. I took the car for a drive and wow. What a difference. The gearing is miles better!

but that’s where the positive ends. Thought I’d do the spark plugs. Cylinder 1 is full of oil 😰😭

17 hours ago, cj1 said:

The actual cylinder or the spark plug hole?

6 minutes ago, imaparana said:

The actual cylinder or the spark plug hole?

Sorry would be combustion chamber I guess. removed plug and oil was dripping out of it

Edited by cj1

Sounds like oilway has bust into the combustion chamber - probably the main feed to the head, that’s adjacent to cylinder 1

Im pretty pleased with the silver project mounts - only annoyance is the bolt length- current ones are 16mm thread, ordered some 12.9 20mm ones to fit instead.

can I ask about the gearing changes you have had done?

2 hours ago, LR5V said:

Sounds like oilway has bust into the combustion chamber - probably the main feed to the head, that’s adjacent to cylinder 1

Im pretty pleased with the silver project mounts - only annoyance is the bolt length- current ones are 16mm thread, ordered some 12.9 20mm ones to fit instead.

can I ask about the gearing changes you have had done?

In that scenario that would just be the gasket I think? It's been that long since it's been in bits anyway I couldn't remember where the feeds where to be honest.

Yeah I saw your write up on them, I've got some longer bolts so will be sure to put them in as soon as they arrive.

I'll post ratios soon. 

I guess in summary I’ve changed from what was a 3.7:1 final drive to a 4.27:1, using only standard 085 box parts.

built it using gears from two different gearbox codes.

2nd goes to about 53, 3rd 73, 4th 86, and I’m guessing 5th will be about 100ish.

3rd used to be good for about 110. Hoping this difference shows in the stage times. Acceleration is so much better now! 

12 hours ago, cj1 said:

In that scenario that would just be the gasket I think? It's been that long since it's been in bits anyway I couldn't remember where the feeds where to be honest.

I suspect something has moved to allow the oil pressure to break through, a skim will help compression. From your description, I would be surprised if the rings had failed for so much oil to have got into the top of the cylinder.

1 hour ago, cj1 said:

I guess in summary I’ve changed from what was a 3.7:1 final drive to a 4.27:1, using only standard 085 box parts.

built it using gears from two different gearbox codes.

2nd goes to about 53, 3rd 73, 4th 86, and I’m guessing 5th will be about 100ish.

3rd used to be good for about 110. Hoping this difference shows in the stage times. Acceleration is so much better now! 

Those look a lot closer and probably make more use of power band making it more derivable - nice upgrade

• 2 weeks later...

Well, some good news I think! 

Ive taken the car to someone to have a look at, need to be ready for the start of May so makes life much easier. 

Compression on all four cylinders is fine, no issues. They think it’s just that the spark plugs were really bad. 

Potentially unburnt fuel or something then? Given compression is good on all 4 I can’t see it being actual oil getting in. Perhaps I panicked a bit? 

451DE809-A277-48A5-A1A0-E796E243569D.png

6EA8B0BD-9F9B-4698-A088-A496A653F38C.png

Well, some good news I think! 

Ive taken the car to someone to have a look at, need to be ready for the start of May so makes life much easier. 

Compression on all four cylinders is fine, no issues. They think it’s just that the spark plugs were really bad. 

Potentially unburnt fuel or something then? Given compression is good on all 4 I can’t see it being actual oil getting in. Perhaps I panicked a bit?