Project Rally lupo!

cj1

2 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

Cut that dash out, scrap the clocks, use a tablet instead, replace the glass it plastic.

What with an obd reader/app? The dash has so much cut away it weighs hardly anything!

plastic Windows good idea can cut the doors away as well then! 

11 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Yay wiring

Yay indeed! Only 23 we're now unsure of what they did, tracing back from the ECU connectors! Will get there :-)

2 hours ago, WRC said:

wow..mine has 979kg..

That seems awfully heavy.... Isn't it around that in standard form?

nope, standard si around 1050kg. i have the 40kg rollbar.. weighted will all liquids and 2 seats. keep in mind, that i have the 1.6 engine :) which is heavier than 1.0. 

anyway, the minimum accepted in our class is 900kg...and a lupo CUP has 905.kg 

7 minutes ago, WRC said:

nope, standard si around 1050kg. i have the 40kg rollbar.. weighted will all liquids and 2 seats. keep in mind, that i have the 1.6 engine :) which is heavier than 1.0. 

anyway, the minimum accepted in our class is 900kg...and a lupo CUP has 905.kg 

Ah okay, that's not too bad then. Is the 900kg what it has to be at the end of a race? IE with fuel etc & driver, or just the car?

Do you still have the heaters in etc? 

Edited by cj1

Long weekend! Engine was ready to go in, we did a test fit and the bracket we'd made to hold the crank sensor was catching on the o/s chassis rail. Out we take the engine, and out of curiosity turned our attention to the 1.0 engine that has a crank sensor hidden behind the flywheel. 

Turned out that the wheel on that engine and the oil seal housing was a perfect fit on the AFH, so we put it on and got the engine in. Couldn't get it to line up properly with the gear selector bar at the back. What we hadn't done was swap the mounts on the chassis for the 1)v sport ones, when compared these move the engine forward around 30mm. Swapped over and engine fitted fine. 

Later that night we realised that the crank sensor was a Hall effect, which is no good for the DTA S40, only the S60 and above can handle that, which is a significant amount more to buy. Sunday we swivelled the engine round on a jack and created a new bracket to house the crank sensor using original trigger wheel on the aux belt pulley idea. 

Last night we set up the ECU, tested the new wiring loom that Martin had made all sensors etc... Had it cranking on the starter motor with the ignition switch, but I didn't go for oil yesterday as it wasn't expected it would be ready to start! Tonight should be the night :D 

pics not in any particular order :

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

The ECU I'm using has an app that can be used for the dashboard display (minus fuel level) , so ordered a tablet for that today. First step, modified a USB hub to wire directly into car. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Updates in order:

• Connected driveshafts (including stub axle on drivers side)
  • Filled gearbox with oil
  • Came back next day to weld manifold to main exhaust, oil leaking out of drivers side driveshaft - odd we thought - couldn't weld exhaust as oil was leaking right where the joint would be
  • Checked against another and there's a kind of spring cap, and a thrust ring that should go on the little stub axle which was also broken (On all three of the gearboxes I have!) 
  • Tapped end of driveshaft with screwdriver and put a hole in it. 
  • Drained gearbox
  • Ordered new thrust ring
  • Removed driveshaft and stub axle part
  • Fitted new Polo stub axle (At the time we thought the bearing should have been in two pieces)
  • Driveshaft outer end nut wouldn't go on - although it is the same thread
  • Discovered the bearing was actually broken
  • Removed driveshaft
  • Welding original driveshaft hole to stop grease escaping and refitting that

All in all a frustrating week with only time at night to do things. By now the exhaust should have been joined up and had the car testing. Things to do:

• Fit polo 6N cable pedal box 
  • Refit seat and move backwards 
  • Machine spacer for steering wheel to allow horn button to fit in the centre
  • Tidy up wiring and remove unnecessary bits (Mainly there)
  • Fit throttle cable
  • Fit drives side thrust bearing 

and a few other bits!  .. Around 40 days to next rally though.. Not worrying yet! :D

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

Tonight fixed the thread on the polo driveshaft, ran M20 x 1.5 die nut up and down it for a while and the nut now fits on perfectly, now to do the same for the other 3 I have! 

Removed pedal box , wish I'd have known this earlier but the only difference is the accelerator cable, anyway swapped it all over to the 6N pedal box, going to weld that up and modify it the same as the Lupo one to make it a by stronger and hopefully less prone to breaking. 

Tomorrow will be welding exhaust up, fitting new brass bearing in driveshaft stub axle and then getting on with bits! Hopefully be able to run the car for a bit as well. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

6N / Lupo hybrid pedal box modified and fitted today, more wiring tidied up, driveshafts all connected properly now. Had car running for quite a while, all seeming ok , been changing some settings in the ECU.

Ignition switch/key barrel/ steering lock removed also. 

More to do tomorrow!!!

Car all back together. Took it for a small drive yesterday, so much better! Love it. Needs mapping now , due to be done on the 15th August! 

Got a tablet with an app for the DTA ECU, so will be using that for the dashboard display. 

image.jpeg

18 hours ago, mattarosa said:

Very nice, rest of the dash going? 

Not for now.... The original speedo does work, and so does the fuel gauge. The App relies on GPS for the speed, which whilst it's likely to be more accurate, it's also a bit delayed. The main thing for now really is the fuel gauge though. Maybe one day it will go, but certainly for now it's staying. 

9 hours ago, WRC said:

so you put an Android (?) tablet with ECU logging..and what app?

very nice.. 

The app is called DTADroid, it's been developed specifically to work with a DTA ECU. Works quite well and the interface can be customized with loads of different bits of information. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, mattarosa said:

Oooh the dohc 16v, leaving it n/a or?

Yeah it's the AFH from a 6N polo. Yes going to leave n/a, if I were to use forced induction then it would put me into a higher class where it wouldn't really be that competitive... Going to the rolling road for mapping tomorrow, excited to see what power it's producing!

• Like 1