Project Rally lupo!

cj1

Hi all, been a while since I've been on this forum! Used to drive a fantasia green lupo E for my first car!

Been itching for a while to start a project off and get into rallying. Happened to get my hands on another lupo E for a reasonable price, and decided instead of selling it on/using it as a daily I'd use it as a base for a project!

The car was a lupo 1.0 E. Standard car.

The plan is to do the minimum to meet regulations to begin with, and then progress from there. Going to be leaving the 1.0 engine in initially and then as time/money allows upgrade to either 1.4/1.6 class. Over the weekend I've began stripping out the interior.

Car mainly stripped out:

DSC00230.jpg

Didn't realise there was this much in it!

DSC00212.jpg

Removed radio and speakers today. Began wrapping the colour coded bits of the dash in Matt black to reduce glare on the window. The plan is to fabricate a panel to cover the double din hole where the radio is usually located, and house all the switches in here.

DSC00236.jpg

Next up is to remove all the bits of bitumen from the chassis and roof. Then next on the list will be to install a roll cage, to see what mods need to be done (if any) to the dash for it to fit.

Ordered a battery master switch with 6ft pull cord today as well. There's going to be a lot of work involved but it will be worth it when I get there!

DSC00238.jpg

If anyone's after any interior bits, please let me know! :)

Watch this space!

Edited by cj1

This weekend I've got the dashboard out, removed the passenger side airbag, and the whole heater system, it was really big and heavy (also unnecessary!)

Also cut away the lower half of the dashboard and left in just the top half.

Also put my bonnet pins in and removed the bonnet catch.

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

Edited by cj1

more updates this weekend.

Stripped the wiring loom down and removed things no longer needed such as heater controls, door speakers/switches, rear wiper, airbag controller. Then re-wrapped the loom to make it look neat again.

Also added a master switch.

DSC00020.jpg

Made 3 panels to cover the holes in the centre console piece. This will be used for housing switches etc... Also test fitted the new steering wheel. (You can just about see the panel in the background)

DSC00022.jpg

Made a start on removing the bitumen pads off the chassis!

DSC00031.jpg

Sprayed various trim pieces on the dash to matt black to reduce glare, looks better also.

DSC00029.jpg

Edited by cj1

• 4 months later...

Kind of been neglecting this thread. Oops.

Not a massive amount of progress unfortunately. I've fully cleaned down the inside and re-painted it all silver to cover the residue left by the bitumen panels. Wired master switch in properly so it actually cuts the car out now, not just stops it from starting! :) Pull cable outside and i've made an aluminium panel to cover the plastic grate which was the intake for the heater system.

Cut lots of unnecessary bits of metal out of the car, every little helps!

I've fitted a rear beam off a lupo GTI for the disc brakes. Also changed The brake pipes over so that they're now split front & rear rather than what appeared to be diagonally. Car has also had it's first scrape, due to not entirely realising i'd need bigger wheels to accommodate the new calipers, I've had to leave the rears off until I find a new set of wheels. Car had to be moved, all went well until we had to stop it, unfortunately the braking power was provided in the form of a brick wall!

I was always planning on the first "big" purchase of the project being the roll cage, but stumbled across a pretty amazing deal on a pair of seats, which are now being delivered on Tuesday!

Things are going pretty slowly, but i'm happy with the small progress that's being made. I've set what I think is a more than realistic goal in that I'd like my first event to be in October next year.

Pics to follow. :shades:

Edited by cj1

You taking out the door cards too?

Not for the time being, everything is out of the doors though. To be honest they hardly weigh anything and the nets will come in handy for putting stuff in! Might do eventually.

• 1 month later...

B3973295-6F29-4ED3-94B3-B4FFF5A0B3CF.jpg

Got the seats, made up with them!

1FE46925-026D-4A45-B3D3-1F9448A074E4.jpg

Other progress has just been grinding bits away that are no longer needed. Ordering the roll cage this week. Things are looking up!

Edited by cj1

i got the fire extinguisher also from GP< but be careful about the FIA approval..it valid only 1 year..good thing you ordered now, you can get the new stock.

in august they had the stock manufactured in winter..with validity until JAN 2016...

Tuesday..i will put the seats..

I've actually got the extinguisher from JJC race & rally, eBay had an offer on yesterday of 20% off a lot of items, so got the kit for a steal!

Post some pictures of your car up when you've got them in! :)

i got them..just at the last track day..but i cannot post them...probably because i am a beginner on forum!? no idea...

no option for pix upload when adding reply..

you got just the extinguisher or the whole extinguishing system?

i got this one

but i was considering this one

i see you got the Golf R, how does it feel compared to the Lupo?

i used to own a S3...but it was an entire different game..more brutal, less docile...nothing compared on the track... was it just me?

Edited by bogdan_wrc

i got them..just at the last track day..but i cannot post them...probably because i am a beginner on forum!? no idea...

no option for pix upload when adding reply..

you got just the extinguisher or the whole extinguishing system?

i got this one

but i was considering this one

i see you got the Golf R, how does it feel compared to the Lupo?

i used to own a S3...but it was an entire different game..more brutal, less docile...nothing compared on the track... was it just me?

You can't directly add images, you have to first add them to a photo hosting site (I use photobucket) and then add the IMG tag into your post.

I ordered a system, but got it from JJC race & rally, it cost £100.

No comparison to the lupo, like you say it's entirely different!

Both sides of seat rails welded in and the seats test fitted. Also put the holes in for the hand-held extinguisher.

Roll cage should be here soon! :thumbup:

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

how does the car feel after the weight loss?

have you weight in comparison the bucket seats vs the stock seats?

:))

i have not..i was hoping you did..

what brakes are you gonna use?

i am preparing for these

http://www.pagidracing.com/index.php?id=632&searchtype=v&cHash=8a7955e7db521662a57b3a806d1457a0&v-make=44&v-model=Lupo%201.6%20GTI&padref=1743

Rs29 with 280 discs...

i already have the TA Technics custom strengthen suspension with powerflex black series bushes.. the car is like glued to the ground. a little bit bumpy..but at 180km/h its on "railways" :))

how does the car feel after the weight loss?

have you weight in comparison the bucket seats vs the stock seats?

:))

i have not..i was hoping you did..

what brakes are you gonna use?

i am preparing for these

http://www.pagidracing.com/index.php?id=632&searchtype=v&cHash=8a7955e7db521662a57b3a806d1457a0&v-make=44&v-model=Lupo%201.6%20GTI&padref=1743

Rs29 with 280 discs...

i already have the TA Technics custom strengthen suspension with powerflex black series bushes.. the car is like glued to the ground. a little bit bumpy..but at 180km/h its on "railways" :))

I've not yet driven it, the rear brakes still aren't connected! Another job to do.

I didn't weigh the seats unfortunately, although I remember seeing somewhere the original seats were around 20kg, so I'd estimate it's a saving of about 10kg each side.

I haven't yet thought about brakes or suspension, I've just been reading on TA coilovers, the reviews didn't seem that great. Yours have been fine?

mine are just...2 weeks old :) and already 2 track sessions...

but i have custom /harder springs. and changed seals and internal gas(liquid?)..for track. so no idea about the original TA Technics...

a lot of my colleagues use some special LUPO CUP coil overs made by H&R..called H&R CUP for Lupo CUP ...but not the well known ones you can find at every tuning shop (although H&R makes only MONOTUBE for Lupo GTI..). they cost around 1800 euros... and were mounted on the original lupo cup car...

i used to have Bilstein B14 on S3..and were every good, but i had a ride in OHLINS...and were out of this world..

the back seats are...4-5kgs each ..

A/C system was another 10kg... JR wheels were some 2kgs lighter on 15" than stock 14"...

i posted a picture here

Edited by bogdan_wrc