Twitchy front end & torque steer

thierryrichards

Hi Guys

Hoping for some help, my mrs' 1.0 e has quite bad torque steer to left when u press throttle hard, as soon as you ease off it almost kicks front end back to the right. Also if your going 50+ and just touch the steering wheel slightly to left or right it is real twitchy on the front as if its too positive!

It has had wheels balanced, new bottom arm and tracking done, any ideas? :)

Thanks

Wheel bearings maybe? Get all four wheels up and check for play, I had the twitchy symptoms on an old corsa, turned the steering slightly and it shot the car across the road, jacked up the fronts, all ok, jacked up the backs and both wheel bearings were loose. I'd start there.

Start with the tyre pressures and any uneven wear, but then Tracking and front wheel geo. My mk3 Polo did this and this sorted it.

Hi Guys

Hoping for some help, my mrs' 1.0 e has quite bad torque steer to left when u press throttle hard, as soon as you ease off it almost kicks front end back to the right. Also if your going 50+ and just touch the steering wheel slightly to left or right it is real twitchy on the front as if its too positive!

It has had wheels balanced, new bottom arm and tracking done, any ideas? :)

Thanks

Wheel bearing, dodgy ball joint, broken bushes. Maybe.

Also was the tracking done properly?

Edited by Dblock
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys an update due to only just coming back to the problem!

The car has covered exactly 100k.

Went through MOT and tracked.

I put a new O/S bottom arm on and the front bush feels like it has a bit of play in, more than the original on the N/S but its not massive play and I cant image it would cause this much to the steering.

When you put your foot down there is a real strong torque steer to the left, and At 60mph a small twitch on the steering wheel really throws the car about and if u got the otherway you could almost lose control, thats how bad it is.

Everything seems OK, went through MOT and been tracked. Had the car on a 2 poster and it felt like a bit of play in offside upto shock, but obviously the wheels were not grounded so not sure if that was a good test, maybe strut tops?

Engine mountings feel ok, maybe a tiny bit of movement in O/S top but not bad

Really confused with this one :(

My bet it's tyres... I have the same problem, but not as bad, and I'm 99% sure it's the cheap and nasty (but almost new) tyres fitted to the front. Some chinese brand I've never heard of. I just need an excuse to chuck 'em away even though they have 8mm of tread.

I get the impression that Lupos are known to tramline more than some other cars. Not sure why though. My Mk2 Golf is the most stable machine I've ever had the pleasure of driving. I've driven a lot of cars.