Lupo tdi turbo removal

Crazyspeedfreakz

Ok so got the car back from vw as I couldn't find what the issue was myself and they have advised that the turbo has sized....

Dose anyone no of a write up on how to remove the turbo or able to offer some advise on a vw lupo 1.4 tdi, I no its mainly just un bolting but is there anything I need to no about the oil feeds or can I just unbolt.....

Lastly I'm guessing I would need to get the oil pressures back up prior to starting can some advise on the easiest method of doing this

I'm planning on doing it this weekend so any help would be amazing :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I'm currently removing the turbo from car as much giving it a complete overhall. As far as I'm aware you just remove the coolant and oilseed lines no problem. Youn will get some spillage so have something handy to wipe it or catch it and maybe clamp the lines too. Is your turbo bolted to the exhaust manifold or is it all one piece? I had to remove the intake manifold on mine to get to at the exhaust manifold including the egr. It's simple stuff just take pictures of everything as you go along.you will want to use some good penetration fluid on the nuts for the manifold if they are as rusty as mine were. You'll need a 12mm socket for the manifold bolts and most can be undone from the top barring one in my case. If your turbo is not one piece with the exhaust manifold you will also need a 12 point 12mm socket for them 3 bolts. One of them is a pain to get to. I think you need a 10mm socket to remove the turbo inlet pipe too.

Ok so starting tomoro I have one final question ..... Hopefully get a answer before then :) ....so ...

I will need to get the oil circulating prior to firing her up where is the ignition fuse or crank sensor so I can turn her over to get oil pressure up before starting ??

Any thoughts...... Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Crazyspeedfreakz

All I do when fitting new turbos is squirt engine oil into the turbine spindles before fitting them.

Ok that's a first.......

Think I'd rather pull ingnition fuse so I can crank it over a good few times before I start it, can anyone tell

Me where the ignition fuse is located ?

Why?? It's no different to when you start a car up from cold is it? The oil drains down the return line and a tiny amount of oil stays in the turbo, you then start the car up when you come to use it and the oil is pumped back up the feed line and into the turbo, if it wasn't safe practise then im sure most manufacturers would have implemented some way of priming a turbo upon replacement just like they do with the fuel supply by now.

It makes much more sense than what you are asking for, if you had any idea about what you're doing then you wouldn't need to ask your question in the first place.

• Like 1

Sorry for my lack of vw knowledge, I'm a impreza fan and when replacing the turbo which I have done quite a few times the correct procedure would be to remove either the ingnition fuse or discon the crank sensor for a few min and crank over then fire her up.

I may be a newbie with these vw's but I'm doing this for mate who can barely check his oil, if I'm honest I've never heard of squirting oil into the turbine which is why I raised a question, surely would just be easier to remove fuse and crank it.... It's not a case of not noing what I'm doing more a case of just trying to confirm the correct procedure.

I apologise, it came across like you were turning your nose up at my advice, which I give freely in order to help people out, so it annoyed me a little.

I see your point about giving it a few pumps before hand but in my own view it's unnecessary, I've fitted my fair share of turbos and never had a repeat incident, however if that's how you want to do it then I would personally just disconnect the crank sensor, easiest way instead of disturbing fuses.

If memory serves me right, it's between the engine and box obviously, accessible from the top, in front of the coolant line that leads to the thermostat housing, there's a red plug and a black plug, it's the black plug. I think, I'm not that clued up on lupo tdi's.