TomTom navigators

I've got a VW OEM MCD navigation system, and I prefer it to having something that needs to be taken with / can be pinched. It also uses GALA so it's more accurate.

satnav.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Looks the nuts (IMHO), and can be got working for about £250 from e-bay, or with all of the features working for about £350 (latest version of the unit, plus a TMC CD).

Here's one in Germany - they do appear in the UK every so often. Search for VW MCD.

Edit: I was considering selling mine to get the colour version, but I've changed my mind for the moment as it would cost a collosal amount to get everything I've got with mine at the moment.

Edited by bossjohnc

Ive got a Tomtom Go

Awesome bit of kit!!!!! it gets taken out of the car everytime its left anywhere aswell

Theres a new version out at the minute,but i can just download the features for that onto mine anyway easily of the internet.

Ive already downloaded the speed camera software for it and that works a treat aswell!!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Its is very accurate with very clear map and voice to tell you where your going

T

Don't do that whatever you do! If they can actually do it, they'll charge you the best part of £2,000 for it.

Listen to Obi-boss-john-c you must. Was reading a thread on a forum that listed how much the dealer will bend you over for, £2000+ just for the unit (which can be bought online for around £600, thats for the 'MFD' which is the fancy full colour screen sat nav) and you can bet you'd get the "hmmm, thats a dash out job mate".

I always liked the look of the navman units (forget who they are made by) for about £400 to £600, but you have to plonk them on the top of the dash, and they never look right, plus they are easy to nick. Hammond was using one on TG this week in the beemer he bought for £1500.

But yeah, most cost effective way seems to be the Tom Tom or PDA route.

thats what ive done, tomtom on a PDA , i must say its amazing. i never leave peterborough without it unless i plan on getting lost

but it is a pain in the ass haveing the wires all over the place and sticking it on the screen, dont bother with getting a bluetooth one either, you still need a wire to conect the power to charge the battery, duh

but i hope to toss all that soon as i have purchased a ITX pc for the loop (thanks Dan wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) just need to mount the screen in dash and a few other things and ill have more than just gps !

but it is a pain in the ass haveing the wires all over the place and sticking it on the screen, dont bother with getting a bluetooth one either, you still need a wire to conect the power to charge the battery, duh

I'm surprised someone of your abilities has visible wires trailing about the place - I did a TomTom wired GPS install in my Lupo and there weren't any wires visible at all. And I didn't even drill any holes - you could do it even neater if you didn't mind doing that.

but i hope to toss all that soon as i have purchased a ITX pc for the loop (thanks Dan wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />  ) just need to mount the screen in dash and a few other things and ill have more than just gps !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep the TomTom as well, there's currently no navigation software available for PCs that's as usable as TomTom in a car environment.

the only reason its not hard wired is cause i need to use in my van aswell ....

apparently tom tom is going to release a version that will work on a pc, if and when, thats the question

Can someone explain the whole tomtom thing then. I presume there is more than one model? Is there one that just has sat nav- I have a snooper radar detector and I dont know what the feck a PDA is. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

There are PDA versions, which basically consist of a CD with the software on and a GPS receiver module. You need to supply the PDA yourself. You install the software onto the PDA and hook it up to the GPS module. The benefits of that are that you get a PDA in the bargain, which can be useful.

There are mobile phone versions, which run on a Smartphone. They use a Bluetooth GPS receiver. Downsides are that they have tiny screens, are hard to use due to no touch-screen, and it takes up a lot of memory on the phone. Benefits are that you don't need to carry a PDA around with you. I think TomTom only works on Microsoft Smartphones though, not the Sony Ericsson P8/900 that are popular on here. Might be wrong though.

Finally, there are the standalone versions, which are a little box that sits on the dash with a nice big screen, and you just plug it into your cigarette lighter. Benefits are that it's nice and easy to move between cars, it just works out of the box (no setting up of software on a PDA/phone) and it's easy to hide. Downsides are that they cost almost as much as the PDA solution and you don't get a PDA.

By default, whichever one of those you choose will just do GPS navigation. However, there are addon modules available which use a speed camera database to warn you of speed cameras when you are out and about, which can be useful if you don't have a GPS speed camera detector already.

You can check out most of the TomTom stuff here.

By the sound of it, you'd be happiest with the standalone TomTom GO models, which don't need you to know what a PDA is - they just work out of the box.

The TomTom GO 300 is the basic model, costs £369 inc. VAT. You can also get the GO 500, which also acts as a Bluetooth Hands Free kit for your phone, or the GO 700, which has full European coverage instead of just UK coverage, and also includes a remote control for posing with. Obviously, they both cost more.

I have a TomTom GO 300 quality little device imo I use it most days and it never lets me down had it all wired up as well took less than an hour 2 do! i would reccomend it but if you can push ur budget for the new 700 which is available soon then i would go for that 1! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

definatly go for a tomtom, u only have 1 wire (power) and u can hind that easily, my dad has one and he drives all over the country, he tells me its brilliant in london, takes u to the door, once he said he went to a place that was on top of a multi story car park and it told him to go right to the top!

Maplin are doing the TomTom 700 for £549.99.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't no one else thinks thats a hell of a lot of cash for an A-Z? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Doesn't no one else thinks thats a hell of a lot of cash for an A-Z?  blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont think so cos its so much easier than gettin stressed trying to read a map and plan your route imo just press a few buttons and ur away!!

Doesn't no one else thinks thats a hell of a lot of cash for an A-Z?  blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It also does what a Road Angel Does and people pay £300 for those.

Acts as a bluetooth headset another £50.

And has all of Europe down to street level - a lot of A-Z's, especially if you have to get them all in the boot of the Lupo biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I guess if you only drive round your own Area it would be a bit expensive.

I do a lot of driving in Europe and it makes for a lot of stress free driving especially when you get into the major cities.