What to do

Dr Gummi

I have a beat up 2000 SDI with 110k on the clock, so only just run in really. Problem is it needs some work and I am not sure if it's worth it (just wish I found this forum before buying it). Some I can do myself, others it's a garage job.

Clutch (two learners, the current user finished it off)

Engine mount (not dog bone, so quite easy)

Cambelt (not done since 40k)

Leaking selector seal (ignore?)

Lots of play in 1st/2nd and difficult to find gear when cold

Won't start unless battery is fully charged (starter motor?)

I got it cheap as the electric windows were dodgy (fixed thanks to a how to on here), v stiff bonnet catch (easy fix) and a short MOT (passed no problem). I have also changed the gearbox oil which helped with the gear change a bit.

Any tips? I know Rich could probably get it running in short order, but I don't have a pit so major surgery is a PITA to do at home. Problem is it drives really well round town and is seriously economical. Also as it looks ratty, I don't care too much about car park dings :-)

Thanks

Joe

Ok, if you feel up to it, I'd certainly do the cam belt. But you need to be brave as it is tricky, and you really need someone to guide you if you've not done one before. While you're there, change the water pump, cam belt tensioner, the little idle pulley and the fan belt. And to do all of that it is even easier if the inlet manifold is off- so while the inlet manifold is off, clean it up and block off the EGR system (for even more economy and power...).

Clutch is also straight forward, but again if you've not done any clutch before, I'd get someone to guide you. And while the gearbox is out, I personally would have someone swap the box bearings and 1-2 syncromesh rings (which is why the gear change is iffy). Also has the pedal box been replaced? Dodgy pedal box kills 1-2.

Gearbox seal is easy while in situ, but you need to make or get a tool to pull out the old seal without damaging the side of the hole where the seal sits. Change the little rubber ball link and seal while you're there too....

All in all probably about £270 of parts, about 35h labour and you'll have a car that goes better than new (with no EGR). Mine did after i did all that (except the gearbox which was ok). The gearbox labour should be about £150ish if you turn up with a cleanly washed box and all the bits you need.

Edited by mk2
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I think the pedal box is OK (pedals are all level and other gear changes are ok), and as the dash looks like it's been out it may have even been changed. I'll check though.

Might just take the whole lump and gearbox out and fix the lot!

Joe