Lupo 1.4 petrol shaking/vibrating on cold idle? Help!?

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 2001 (51, petrol auto) Lupo where it starts to judder/vibrate/shake/stutter after about 20 seconds of idling on a cold engine. It keeps stuttering for about 1 minute before it stalls. I can stop it stalling by holding the RPM's at 1500-2000 until the engine warms up (3-4 minutes).

It's annoying and happens every single morning even when it's not that cold outside.

I've heard it might be:

Coil Packs

Air Intake Throttle Valve

Spark Plugs

Throttle Body

I'm not technical *at all* and have been to local garages who have charged me £30 for an inspection and said "we'll need to keep it overnight and test fit new replacements of all those parts before we can make a judgement" - which they want £100+ for.

Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Kasim

Could be a dirty throttle body. If you've still got the car, give it a quick clean by spraying some carb cleaner down while holding down your throttle (as per how to).

Could also be the lambda sensor.

Where in the country are you?

Do you have a laptop. Can you get your hands on vagcom or at very least a code reader.

Check the codes.

As skezza says it could be the lambda sensor. It's it's only being funny at a certain rev range it's odd. Usually but not always a coil pack will misfire all along the rev range albeit it could only be intermittent. Same with spark plugs.

But I'd say you would be wise to

Clean the throttle body

Reset the throttle body

Read vagcom codes

Replace or swap easiet things like coil and spark plugs ht leads etx

Replace lambda.