Someone needs to write a how to... CD/GPS/Radios

mk2

In my lupo I have this (ok so it's out now...):

dc3ji0.jpg

2m5ii6r.jpg

And now that I've bought this, I'd like to rig it up so it works correctly. Not so simple....

72fue0.jpg

10fbddl.jpg

r8uwsi.jpg

So the two Lupo loom plugs that I pulled out of the Beta unit go straight into the MCD, and it powers up fine. Sat nav don't work yet cos I haven't figured out which connector the sat nav antenna plugs into (there are two RF connections). In addition, which type of connector do i need on the end of the GPS antenna? It's not SMA, but might be SMB... I just can't tell. I have a few GPS antennas hanging around just itching to be fitted with a new COAX plug.

Also as I understand it from reading around the subject, I need an adaptor or something that can emulate the CD changer (so the head unit 'thinks' it's connected to the CD changer unit)- then I can plug in an MP3 player or something. That then plugs into the CDC socket- but where to get one?

How does the phone interface work? Do you need an adaptor or is it something that no-one uses?

Any other tips most gratefully received. :)

I've been investigating the wiring a bit more.... it's ongoing this one.

If you fit an OEM sat nav unit to a non sat nav Lupo, you need to add a GALA signal (which is short for german long word-GeschwindigkeitsAbhängigenLautstärkeAnpassung = Speed Dependent Volume Control).

Now this is where my uncertainty is- some OEM sat navs use only the GALA signal, some use the GALA AND the wheel pulses from the ABS system, and some only use the ABS pulses. Also I'm not sure if the ABS pulses are 'raw' from the wheel sensor or processed from the ABS control unit (anyone?).

From what I've read, the MCD I have only 'needs' a GALA signal. This signal 'I think' is the same as the pulses that come from the speedo pickup sensor on the gearbox, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing where the GALA signal comes from- so I can connect it to the same place to try and keep everything as OEM as poss?

Different OEM sat navs use wheel pulses (ABS) and turning angle and speedo signal (GALA), so I guess the later the sat nav unit you decide to retrofit, the more work it'll be. Late MFD (mk 1) units are great as you can even hook up TV or video to them.

I'm sure there's a wiring loom for this

yeah, there's a CD changer emulator thing that plugs into the CD changer plug. They cost about £25.

The thing allows you to connect an MP3 player or some other sound source to the MCD (or MFD) unit. Then you can select the CD changer and listen to music from your MP3 player on the car speakers. The 'loom' has a little circuit board in a box that tricks the radio into thinking that it is connected to an OEM CD changer. You get a 3.5mm stereo jack plug and a USB charger lead (handy for iPods).

It has no effect on the sat nav system though...

The GALA signal is in the Lupo plug on the pin labelled GA. You will see this is in the same place as the pin on the MCD labelled GALA

If only it was that easy. In my lupo loom, there is no wire in that position (marked GA). Poverty spec loom me thinks. So i guess i need to add it, if only i knew from where i could pick up the gala signal...

Yeah thats the aux in emulator cable thing i was talking about.

The mfd/mcd post only mentions if your car is already equipped with the right signals.... Which mine sadly isn't. The sat nav antenna cable is straight forward- the gala and maybe abs I'm not sure about yet.

If only it was that easy. In my lupo loom, there is no wire in that position (marked GA). Poverty spec loom me thinks. So i guess i need to add it, if only i knew from where i could pick up the gala signal...

Oh right, that's odd then, as all the Lupo's I've had had that wire fitted. That's what the radio uses to get louder as you drive faster. Do you know if your radio had that feature working before you removed it?

My radio-cassette had a fixed volume control on it. As drove faster, I had to turn up the volume control. Really noticable when coming to a stop after a cruise on the motorway. Deafening!

I think only the gti, 3l and sport models have the extra wiring. Unless the Lupo was ordered specially from the factory, with extras like ac, electric seats, mirrors and that sort of thing...

My radio-cassette had a fixed volume control on it. As drove faster, I had to turn up the volume control. Really noticable when coming to a stop after a cruise on the motorway. Deafening! I think only the gti, 3l and sport models have the extra wiring. Unless the Lupo was ordered specially from the factory, with extras like ac, electric seats, mirrors and that sort of thing...

Yeah so did mine tbh. and this one I have now is aftermarket so I wouldn't know.

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram that shows the GALA signal... and where it comes from? I'd be ever so grateful! :)

Edited by mk2

All Gamma and Beta radios have GALA, I always turn it off as I find it bloody annoying.

All Gamma and Beta radios have GALA, I always turn it off as I find it bloody annoying.
how did you turn it off? Just cut the wire or can you deactivate it using vagcom? which kind of answers another of my questions- if you can do it with vagcom it must be a signal from the ecu????

All the radios have the input, but my guess is that they operate normally if there is no gala signal.

attachicon.gifmcd pinouts.jpg

Hope this helps!

Yeah same as what I took a pic of further up the thread, which at least confirms that my mcd is a mcd... at least I now know that the rf connection nearest the radio antenna connector is for the gps antenna. The other with the little black plastic L shaped bracket must be ABS then? Thnx for the info :) Edited by mk2

On the gamma and beta radios, if you hold down the TP Set button it brings up a menu and you can adjust it in there. I think that black connector is for use in Japan

• 2 weeks later...

I have got my MCD system working... Radio AM/FM excellent! CD analogue lovely sound. CD map works and reads well. Sat nav works but needs a newer map CDrom me thinks.

Ok there are a few problems or maybe it's just me getting something wrong in a setup menu. I have taken lots of pics- I'll post them later in the week.

I need to calibrate the wheels when I get a chance. Also will connect up the aux input control box when it arrives (to connect to my MP3 player).

The odd behaviour I have is that when stationary, radio works just fine. As soon as I drive the system displays "PHONE" and flashes between PHONE and FMRADIO when I drive (in time with the speedo pulses I'm guessing. When PHONE is displayed, the system mutes. How do I turn the phone mute function off? I just can't figure it out!

• 5 months later...