Battery keeps dieing..

LowerclassLupo

My battery keeps going flat in a very short space of time. I wanna know if it could be something else could be the problem before I buy a new battery.

Today I drove the car to work at 8.50 the car was parked from a 30 minute journey.

At 2pm I drove 5 minutes to the shop and back.

At 5pm I tried to start up and got nothing.. Not even a turn over just a quiet electrical wine.

I leave nothing on such as lights or radio.

Just a new battery needed?

I have a converted gti lupo (not sure if the battery was upgraded) and I have two subs with amp.

What battery will I need to get if this is the problem.

would I measure that with a multi meter and what should it read? But Halford is about 45 minutes from me and if I've driven that distance it would show charged anyway wouldn't it? Thanks.

If you got a multimeter use it. See what your voltage is before starting car. It should be 12.8ish and then see what it is once the car is started. It should be 13.8-14.4ish volts once started. If it is then your alternator is good.

But you drove 30mins. I would guess your alt is fine.

How old is the battery? It is either a dead battery or a drain. Are your amps 100% turning off?

Edited by Dblock

The voltage of your car was just 10 when it was off? **** that's very low. That's either

A. Battery is dead as a doornail.

B. Something is draining your battery very quickly.

But your alternator sounds fine.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's what thought. It wouldn't turnover at the 10.1 voltage nothing when I turned the key. The amp must be still on when the key is out, that's the only thing I can think. Again this was about 4 hours after it had been driven.. We'll see tomorrow morning.

If it is the amp, why would it still be using power when the keys not in?

Because turning the key off doesn't kill the battery does it? Which means the wiring is wrong somewhere. The ignition should trigger the amp to switch on but also to switch off.

Fix the wiring.

I see what you mean but turning the key does power up the amp because with the key out there's no noise from the subs and there's no light on the amp. If there's no noise and no light, how's it using power?

It's not.

Dead battery or wiring fault elsewhere.

Well either way your battery is gubbed. Replace it. Then check the volts. Check again in 15-30min intervals and see if it's dropping. If it isn't then battery was just dead and needed replacing. If it goes down then you have a drain.

Buy a reasonable battery, don't cheap out and you could get 10-15 good years out of it.

Unlikely if your car is already 15 years old :tongueout:

My last Fiesta the brand new battery lasted 2 weeks because I had to scrap the car. Wish I'd kept the old battery to scrap it with :surprised:

Unlikely if your car is already 15 years old :tongueout:

My last Fiesta the brand new battery lasted 2 weeks because I had to scrap the car. Wish I'd kept the old battery to scrap it with :surprised:

well you don't scrap the car with a new battery