Original or not? GTI Owners

steve200

How many GTI owners have no modifications at all, original spec?

Now the Lupo is getting older the demand is starting to shift towards genuine untouched ones and even though mine has only sensible mods like coil overs, alloys & exhaust it's still nice to see one that is completely original so now thinking about reverting back to oem spec.

Anyone else gone back to original spec?

Apart from being slightly lowered on springs, mine is original.

Don't mind what others do to their GTI'S but in future as original as possible will be the cars that folk seek or perhaps those customised to 'tasteful' themes or even extreme makeovers depending on taste - nice leather interior etc. Quite a few Gti's are looking shabby and probably destined to be broken.

A lot of cars that have been modded look good and attract a certain type of trend follower but the long term trend will be original spec very much like almost all older cars.

Edited by Pottster

Mines standard, largely for insurance cost purposes as I'll be tempted to change the wheels and lower it a bit at some point.

When I was looking to buy one last year it was very difficult to find a reasonably priced, completely standard GTI - all of the cheaper ones had at least one mod!

Mines completely standard and will remain that way. Its an 05 plate with a genuine 17,300 miles on the clock. I have replaced some exterior trim recently e.g.badges and wheel trims, and that was purely because they had become a little tired due to their age. I used genuine VW replacements.

Mine I have returned to original spec. When purchased it had the wrong seats and some minor trims bits where not correct. All good now. Only done 52000 miles. Even got the original mats the lot.

Edited by lupo1.0se
  • Like 1

Mine I have returned to original spec. When purchased it had the wrong seats and some minor trims bits where not correct. All good now. Only done 52000 miles. Even got the original mats the lot.

managed to clean the original mats in the end and they have come up really well. Thanks for pointing out the rears on ebay which I bought as spares. Just can't source any genuine brand new fronts so will need to wear slippers when driving lol.

Mines completely standard and will remain that way. Its an 05 plate with a genuine 17,300 miles on the clock. I have replaced some exterior trim recently e.g.badges and wheel trims, and that was purely because they had become a little tired due to their age. I used genuine VW replacements.

Must be one of the best around now. 17k and original.

I have all the original parts for mine so might return it to original spec, there is something more appealing when seeing one that looks like it has just left the showroom in original form. Guess it is the age of them that is making them more desirable now as standard.

managed to clean the original mats in the end and they have come up really well. Thanks for pointing out the rears on ebay which I bought as spares. Just can't source any genuine brand new fronts so will need to wear slippers when driving lol.

Great. Glad I could be of help.

Wheel trims on a GTI? was this a poverty spec option?

Yep sorry meant the centre caps for the alloys. Tried some replacement badges off ebay but they are approximately 1mm less in diameter and thus not a perfect fit so I ended up purchasing a complete set of VW centre's. Needless to say they have made a huge difference.

Yea i am tempted as well to go back to original spec wish i didnt get rid of all the original stuff now as they are getting harder to source, i would love to have some new mats as my drivers side one is looking very used lol.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to pick up my GTI from a VW main dealer next fri. I've waiting a long time for the right one to come up. It's on 40000 miles one lady owner from new and is completely standard. It's been serviced by the same VW dealer it was originally bought from all its life. Comes with warranty too which is a piece of mind for me as it's my first GTI.

I'm going to pick up my GTI from a VW main dealer next fri. I've waiting a long time for the right one to come up. It's on 40000 miles one lady owner from new and is completely standard. It's been serviced by the same VW dealer it was originally bought from all its life. Comes with warranty too which is a piece of mind for me as it's my first GTI.

Nice low mileage that is what colour is it?