lupo SDI tuning

agilecanonbal

Hi all, :)

I have a lupo 1.7 SDI.which is going for a remap on Saturday,just wandering if this enough? Or should it be done in conjunction with having the egr blocked off, also the restrictor trumpets out?, I only ask as not that much info about the sdi, and if anyone has done it would they advise all the modds? or should they be there for a reason?especially with a remap!? Also has been recommended to fit an aftermarket induction kit, but there seems to be a couple of sensors along the original air intake, hence would have to put just the cone in place of the original filter,leaving original air intake intact, so is there any point in just the cone filter? All advice would be greatly appreciated, and will leave feedback on the results, again based on what you guys in the know recommend, thanks again in advance guys\gals

Edited by agilecanonbal

Skezza and mk2 are the main men when it comes to sdis. But to optimise what you have try using some diesel purge. You can also stick some 2 stoke in which will make the car smoother. Someone said there is a remap for the sdi but I'm

Not sure if that's true.

Thanks for the reply dude :) will be hoping those two can shed a little light on the sdi potential :), according to a guy I spoke to, he can remap the sdi but will gain only approx 12bhp, which is all good for me :) just don't know if I should do the other mods too or if it's better not to do them as well as a remap, also is the remap real? Seems a mysterious subject!....Thanks again for all help/advice

Hi

I'll watch this with interest :shades:

There seems to be some contention about removing the trumpets, all in all I'm of the opinion that they should stay, have a read of http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/44351-how-to-remove-intake-restrictors-sdi/

You say the re-map will 'only' produce 12bhp, you realise that's roughly an 18% increase! What increase in torque will this remap bring and if you don't mind me asking, how much?

Cheers

Ian

To be honest, I cannot see you getting anywhere near 12bhp from a remap alone. You might be able to get a bit more grunt out of the bottom end though and perhaps a smoother drive through the rev range. If you're lucky, you'll get 5bhp-7bhp.

MK2 has done an extensive post on why removing the trumpets may not be such a good idea. There really is limited tuning capabilities with the SDI's, it's all about the amazing fuel economy and incredible reliability with these.

I've done a How To on Diesel Purge. It'll cost you about £18 for a litre of purge (you only use 500ml, but it's useful to have another can) and the bits to make up the system were about £6. This is a crude way of cleaning your injectors, cleaning your fuel lines etc. This isn't as efficient as UV injector cleaning but the photo I put on the How To really proves how much Diesel Purge does work. It's not snake oil.

The best time to do a purge is right before an oil change and mid service. Do a diesel purge, change your oil filter, change your fuel filter and you'll really notice a difference in performance, idle smoothness and all around pleasure of the car. I found mine pulled off a lot quicker, even without a fuel filter change.

Interesting replies!had a read about the trumpet removal,I fully understand the point of view given....but what about the people that have actually done the removal and claim an improvement? Are they all just under the placebo effect?

Regarding the egr delete,just a plate put in place, I would've thought that this makes sense,less recirculated gasses going back in the engine hence a cleaner burn, any advice on this being of any benefit?

As for the remap, everywhere I've looked, every company claims the same gains of approx 12bhp and an increase from 115 to 140nm, so was hoping for some truth in their claims!

So I'm now a little miffed as to what to do, thinking of still having the remap done, along with the egr delete,but leaving the trumpets in place.

also what about the air filter, seems a pain to put an after market one on given the sensors in place, so unless you guys know any different, I'm left with the option of just swapping the filter element for something like a k&n, which is fine, but just concerned about driving through deep puddles and sucking up water!

All of what I do will be based on what you guys in the know recommend, and will post the results here for all to know.

So,has anyone done a remap? Should I do the egr delete? And who's removed their trumpets from an SDI?

I know it's just an SDI,but I feel it can give a bit more!

Thanks to skezza, dblock,Ian Daley for help/replies so far :)

Edited by agilecanonbal

I'd do the cost effective mods no matter what engine it is.

Most remaos are generic so claim the same power. But as I said I don't think it's realistic at all but if you can even get half that then it's ok.

Yes I'd block the egr sooner rather than later. It's not helping performance or economy by letting in hot used gas and the same agajn since it makes the engine full of crap narrowing the inlet manifold etc due to carbon build up.

I'm not sure about the trumpet. Mk2 could be right in what he says but not one has verified trumpets off vs on so it could be worth experimenting with.

As for air filter I wouldn't bother. If got a k&n replacement panel filter as you can wash it but I wouldn't bother with an induction kit. It will make the car sound more like a tractor and there is no performance gain. Well not usually on a diesel unless the airbox is a really bad design. But I don't think it is on a sdi.

You wouldn't suck up water unless it was facing the ground and was low anyway. Plus you would have to take a decent amount of water in. I've done the water decarbonisation on my car and you can put a fair bit in with no ill effects.

All of what dblock says really. I'd have the remap, it's probably worth trying it just don't be disappointed if you don't get the 12bhp they promise. Even if you get the car pulling stronger that's a positive. Not all about raw power.

Blocking the EGR does seem to be the common thing, not done it yet but I think I will. I'd take the inlet manifold off and give that a good clean too.

I can see why taking the trumpets off may seem a good idea. Sure, extra air will flow into the engine but like mk2 explains quite well, that extra air doesn't necessarily result in more power. In fact, many stock ECU's go into a correction mode when too much air is entering the engine so absolutely no benefit is felt. Same as those daft 'chips' that tap into the MAF sensor to crudely inject more fuel. Very quickly your ECU goes into a correction mode and reverts the fuelling back to before.

Use a factory air filter. You really have no chance of getting any performance improvement and the interval is about 40k miles technically anyway...

Dblock is correct about water decarb too. Would probably do some good in small doses.

Do sdis even have mafs? As it's a simple Diesel engine it's filling the cylinder with as much air anyway isn't it? It's not like a petrol where it's trying to be near Stoich.

I know it's not performance related really but an Rarb doesn't wonders. Can you elephant hose mod the car?

Again thanks for the replies guys :) harder than I thought to find someone to blank the egr! But have found someone to do it,they'll be fabricating one as they don't keep the blanking plates in stock, whilst the car is there I'll try and get them to clean the intake and possibly the intake manifold if they can, think I'm going to take all your advice and not go too far with it,just going to blank the egr,clean intake and get the remap.the trumpets can stay where they are, and as you all say the air filter is safe where it is, I'll leave it there:) still gonna be worrying every time there is a down pour though,as the car is lowered and feel it's going to drown lol. Just a quick question...the guy recons that one of the dash lights will be on due to the egr delete, and although he can clear it he says that it will probably come back on! Any of you know if this is true? Hoping there is no adverse effects with the egr delete :\ nice one skezza for the diesel purge recommendation :) not quite sure how to do it, so redex diesel it is for now :) shame no diesel lupo owners live in birmingham, would be great to link up with some one in the know who can carry out some of the work for a few drinks!

There will be no EML for blocking an egr on a sdi.

Youtube diesel purge and follow the instructions really easy.

Redex is crap. Just dump a tank of diesel purge in your tank or use 2 stroke if your not going to run solely off diesel purge to clean. Redex is a waste of money. Wait till the car is pretty empty then put a full container of diesel purge in. Drive it hard to the petrol station and fill up once it's nearly empty.

Skezza you tried 2 stroke or acetone yet?

Edited by Dblock

Nah SDIs don't but I was explaining why those kind of '15 bhp chips' don't work. Same reason putting a fat cone filter on doesn't work, because the ECU goes into a correction map, especially if you bias the MAF or MAP.

I don't recommend redex. It's not quite snake oil but it's half a job. It'll never clean your injectors spray pattern in the way diesel purge does. If you're able to get up to Stoke sometime I'd happily show you how to do a purge but it's so so easy.

No reason for an EML.

Funny enough I tried some acetone with veggie oil and it pulled faster than fresh diesel. Just not very sustainable though. Done two stoke a few times. Smoothes it out

Interesting about the two stroke, do I just buy a bottle and stick it in the tank? Can this be done often? Also thanks skezza for the offer :) may just take you up on it soon! As for putting the diesel purge in the tank,is this just an easier way to do it? I'm learning more from you guys, nice 1 :)

Well tomorrow hopefully I can get the egr delete and if there's time get the intake section cleaned,best to do these things before the remap I think! thanks for the heads up on the dash light, nice knowing no complications will arise! Hoping the lupo will drive a little easier.hopefully have some feedback for you all....cheers again lads.

Skezza why isn't if sustainable? I don't know about svo but with diesel you only need about 1ml per litre.

Agilecannonball

Yes you can put it in the tank. But the diesel will dilute it. But if you do it properly it will be running off diesel purge only.

Yeah you can stick 2 stroke in every tank. It greases up all the fuel stuff and makes the car smoother and cleaner. You need 1:250. So not much.

Dblock because I'll have to keep buying it lol which is a pain unless there's somewhere online.

I just bought 5l on eBay for under £15. 99.5% pure. I use a decent amount or acetone not because it goes in the tank but I mix it with atf for a great penetrating fluid.

Sods law the garage I whent to closed early which they neglected to tell me!but found another to do the job :) the egr is now blanked of and inlet has been cleaned,we left the trumpets out just for experimenting, the inlet was actually surprisingly clean!so didn't take much effort, the car does seem to pull a little better now, will drive it like this for a short while to get used to it,and then put the trumpets back in to see if there's a difference. As for the remap, it was too late by the time everything was done,gonna see if the guy can do it tomorrow, if not it'll have to wait till next week unfortunately. Might go and get some two stroke oil and wack it in the tank, see if I can feel any difference.thanks again everyone so far for all the help:) any other recommendations to do to the car? I'm all ears!...

Well the car's now got a remap! Gotta say it is better now, combined with the other little modds. it's by no means a speed racer, but it is more drivable, pulls better through the gears, feel it more around the city, pulls easier and feels less restrained. not so much improvement at high speed though, just as I say feels less restrained. Going to drive it as is for now, then maybe next week put the trumpets back in to see if they do anything good. So there you have it, if you plan on keeping your SDI and want more from it, egr delete, inlet clean and remap,will make the car feel more responsive and pull a little better,but still no speed demon!