Diesel Swap - a bit more specific

Patronu

I know there are a lot of threads about this but couldn't find any specific.

Long story short, I have a 1.4s lupo, i love it, don't want to sell it but I need a new engine. A diesel since I drive it three times more then I anticipated first. So I want to throw a non-PD bullet proof 1.9 tdi. Which is the less complicated one to swap? From the ASV/ALH even down to AAZ. I wouldn't mind a non-ECU diesel lupo as long as I still have my ABS and airbags.

Thanks.

abs and airbags aren't part of the enghine wiring per se.

AAZ if you're skilled in fabrication is probably the easiest option and doesn't mean ripping half the car apart to mess with wiring.

If you use clocks from an early SDI (light grey face) then they're non canbus.

Because it is easier and probably more economical.

Then when power comes into demand just fit an mtdi and a bosch pump, bigger nozzles and no pd will ever catch you.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the input. Unfortunately I haven't found anyone in town willing to get into mounts fabrication. So I'm left with something thats a straight fit.

I've read about the polo gti engine but since they're so rare around here I searched and found a golf BCB (ERT box) engine which I heard should drop right in no problem. BUT it does not fit the lupo gearbox. And putting a golf gearbox with lupo's tiny wheels will give waay too short ratios. So I'm looking for a gearbox that fits the BCB engine and long enough for lupo's wheels. Maybe a diesel box?

Help. :D

just fit an mtdi and a bosch pump, bigger nozzles and no pd will ever catch you.

Rich I've heard of this once or twice over the years but have never tried it. Have you tried it, and if you did, what was it like?- did you need to change the pump timing advance springs and/or pump lift profile? My guess is that with a 1.9 turbo non PD engine, you could up the waste gate release pressure, and to get more high end power, increase the fuelling- by doing exactly what you suggest... Lots of black smoke (and power).

I suspect that the 1.7 SDI could take 200+hp with silly boost. Add turbo plus new pump & injectors and away you go. Idle would be tricky. Big injectors don't like really short pulses = rough idle.

Best of both worlds- economical 1.7 SDI performance with PD180 power....... Not sure how many miles it'd last. Maybe 50k?

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry this topic goes forever but the deeper I research into this conversion the more problems I find. It seems these engines are anything but interchangeble like the older cars used to be.

So I'm looking for the least complicated and least expensive conversion I can. Right now I'm looking at the 1.7 SDI engine but only if the electronic injection can be swapped with a mechanical one, like the 1.9 D. That way I don't have to buy the ecu and wiring. Unfortunately I couldn't find any info on clublupo on either the 1.4s to sdi swap or the injection swap.

• 2 weeks later...