TDi Timing belt issues

DentedRims

Hi all,

I am a new member on here! I didn't want this to be my first post (I had intended on pics of te car when I bought it etc) but I need some advice! I have recently bought a 2001 Lupo TDi which although in pretty good condition the service history is a little sketchy as to what has been done (or not), so, I decided it would be a good idea to change the timing belt and give it a service before using it as my daily and retiring my Mk2 to a somewhat sidelined role (ie selling it; much to my dismay)!

What a ball ache that hydraulic tensioner damper thing is! Much prefer the newer design tensioner like on the 52 plate mk4 I had! Couldn't get the blasted thing to depress so had to take the tensioner pulley and roller off to get the belt off then take the damper off and compress it in a vice, when it all went back together could not get the gap to 4mm even with the locking plate still in the damper ( 5 was the closest I could get it), but after pulling the locking plate it was more like 6 or 7mm! Took it apart and put it back in the vice once again bit the same thing happened again! Can anyone tell me if this is normal and it will be ok or do I need to try something else to get the gap closer? Any help appreciated, thanks!

I have this sorted now! I was clearly not doing something right (probably due to the cold giving me brain freeze) as I took it apart again last night reset everything, tried again and got the gap with no real issues?!? Runs well!