Air Con - Fitting

iSutehall

Has anyone had air-conditioning added into their GTI when it didn't come with it? Is so a price would be greatly appreciated! As it is something that I am thinking that I might do soon.

Thanks in advance

Just had a look on vag cat and you going to need a fair few parts for this

You will need

1. bracket for alternator / for models with air conditioner and power steering (032145167L) - 75 Euro

2. Belt (036145933Q) - 18 Euro

3. Refrigerant compressor with electro-magnetic coupling (6N0820803C) - 448 euro

6. Bush for bracket 068903147H - 1.6 euro

8. single wiring seal / for wire cross section:5,6X7,8 blue 1,0 (357972741) - 0.41 euro

9. hexagonal head bolt (N 10209801) - 1.65 euro

10. Flat connector housing (357972762) - 0.62 euro

11. Attachment for the electro magnetic coupling (6N0298012) - 6.9 euro

12. Condenser thing - goes on the front of the radiator - will need bracket (G 052154A2) - 48.0 euro

So in total parts alone will come to 600.18 euro for the compressor parts and that's not including the internal dash parts or pipes. Or in pounds alone for this is £450.

Once you include the pipes that connect it and dash parts you would be talking at least £1000 in parts alone from Vw and that's not including the labour to connect the system up (legally it has be done by a air con engineer to be gassed up).

If you are desperate for air con in your car. My only solution I can suggest is to find a lupo with air con breaking and get all the pieces you need. But expensive none the less.

Edited by lupo1.0se

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/141395618328

Cheaper and I could imagine you'll laugh more using it then paying high amounts to retrofit

Excellent!

But seriously, you'll also need the hoses, pipes, receiver/dryer, expansion valve and evaporator unit (that goes inside), plus the controls.

In my experience, when I've retrofitted cars with AC, the most difficult bit is mounting the compressor. The rest of the parts you can mix and match and the hoses/pipes you can have made for peanuts. Almost everything is available on Ebay or from breakers. I'd say total parts spend about £120. Plus about 35h labour. And if you have a source of R12, I want some please. Best damned refrigerant known to man.... but not too environmentally friendly (ozone hole thing).

If I can find the space above the alternator, I'm tempted to bung a used system from a Polo in my SDI.