VW Lupo 1.2 TDI - Problems

DennisCK

Hi, everybody!

I'm quite the new beginner when it comes to what's going on under the hood of a car, so it's been quite hard finding topics referring to my problem, since I don't know what the parts do or are called.

Although, worth mentioning is that I don't mind getting my hands dirty and I prefer hands on learning.

So here's my story: I've owned my Lupo for almost two years now and I've had a few problems during this time. Nothing big though and it's always run smoothly. The car has gone 210 000 km, which is about 130 000 miles, so it's probably on the bad side of the human 50's, I guess, considering physical condition, of course. ;)

About two months ago I lost my acceleration, basically. At first I thought that the car was a bit slow but then I reached "Åby-backen", which is a steep slope on the freeway, outside my hometown "Norrköping" and found that going uphill I could reach a top speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). I got passed by lorries and in order not to piss people off I had to stay at that speed for the rest of the ride.

So, this is the state that my Lupo is in atm.

I cracked up the hood and found some leads as to what was causing the turbo, I suppose, not to work.

I'll show you what I'm talking about in some pictures but here's also a short text description.

A major oil spillage revealed that a quite thick pipe had sprung loose. So I cleaned the engine quickly, jammed the pipe back in jumped in the car and drove off.
Now everything was smooth sailing once again. But I was quite suspicious and rightfully so. I thought to myself that it shouldn't be that easy.

Of course I wanted to try the acceleration off for real and here's where it happened. The pipe sprung loose once again and I could hear how the engine started to, I dunno how to put it but, roar in an unsatisfying way and I lost my acceleration once again.

Now I thought that the problem was that the pipe was old and worn out so I made a Donald Duck kind of repair and used a pair of straps to fasten the pipe again. This worked for a few days but somehow it doesn't any longer. It's quite tight but still the pipe is pushed out. I'm thinking that it might have something to do with pressure rather than a screwed up pipe.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you can look past that and help me in finding a solution to my problem.

Thank you!

Pictures>

WP_20150115_00_03_50_Pro.jpg

WP_20150115_00_03_50_Pro_kopia.jpg

If you need to see more pictures just say and I'll post what you need.

Edited by DennisCK

That's your inlet pipe I think (I don't know the 1.2 that well). The turbo pressurises the air and that has blown off the pipe. Low pressure = low power! Re-attach it the correct way (maybe you need a new pipe?) and everything will be perfect again :)

Thanks for replying!

It seems that you've got the right part.

When I looked at the Connection type on this pipe end I found it to be abit weak so I assumed that there was too much pressure, causing the pipe to blow out.

The Connection is a thick steel wire, shaped as a ring. And you have to force/bend it out in order to get it on. Do you think I can clamp the pipes together with some other kind of connection mechanism?
I'm thinking there should be a hollow ring shape that could hold on to 2 metal ledges at once keeping them together. This contraption could have a hinge on one side and a lock mechanism on the other. What do you Think?

Byt the way! There's oil leakage from the hole from where the pipe has sprung loose. Is that normal?

Edited by DennisCK

The connection is held together by a wire clip. To take it apart you have to use a small screwdriver. Is this clip present? Sounds like it is not or it is not functioning as intended.

RAB

Hi, RAB!

Well, this clip is present. But its not doing the job inteded. Now wether that has to do with the clip or the pipe being worn out, I cant tell.

I'll post a couple of close-ups as soon as I get home.