Battery draining problem?

inewitt

hi I have just started to sort my car out and I put a brand new battery in today,

And I came back to it later on today and the batter has gone completely flat?

Dose any one else have this problem?

Does it still go flat with the -ve lead removed? Some batteries are DOA.

To find the circuit that's draining it, assuming it has the same mini fuse box on the battery as the lupo you could check the current drain for each fused circuit on the board. The starter motor is connected directly though.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

does the stereo come on without the ignition on? probably needs the red and yellow 12v lines swapping over. on the ISO lead for the head unit it will have bullet connectors so you can swap them. one is permanent live 12 v for the memory and the other is a switched ignition live so it powers on with the ignition on and wont flatten the battery.

Do you have a multimeter? check which 12v line is which on the car and then make sure it matches the head unit

You have to be careful with aftermarket stereos. Some of them consume significant amounts of power even when switched off. This is why they're fitted with an ignition live and permanent live. When their permanent live feed is cut (i.e. when you remove the key) they only draw about 0.5 amps just to maintain their memory.

Edited by Skezza

You can take the - cable off, hook a ampmeter into the circuit, read the draw. All this with the ignition off, and the doors closed.

Easiest way to proceed is having a friend with you, in the car, pulling on fuse at the time, while you check the draw. If you open the door with the ampmeter you can burn the meter, as pump and such go off when you open.