Check Engine light on?

NathLupo

Hey guys,

i'm new to this place and have had a quick look to see if anything on here relates to my issue but couldn't find anything that helped me out...

i have a 2000 1.4s 75bhp Lupo and the Engine management light has come on... plugged a diagnostic reader into the car and it showed error as "Fuel Bank 1"

Killed the error and checked the live feed with the engine running and no error was found... drove it for about 2 days and the light came back on...

Been told it could be a faulty lambda sensor.. i'll be getting a custom exhaust made at the end of the month for the loop and was wondering if i'll still have to change the sensor or will the garage that makes the exhaust do that?

Appreciate all help given!

Nath

I'm shocked you have an engine management light.

Could also be O2 sensor, I would change it, pre exhaust install. Change both if need.

Edited by Skezza

Do loops normally have a check engine light? I can't say I've ever seen one...

the newer models yep. His is a 2000 so is still quite old and a VW engineer told that most early Lupo's don't have the engine management warning module which simply triggers the warning light, so all faults are self diagnosed directly from the ECU (blissful ignorance).

Hey guys,

i'm new to this place and have had a quick look to see if anything on here relates to my issue but couldn't find anything that helped me out...

i have a 2000 1.4s 75bhp Lupo and the Engine management light has come on... plugged a diagnostic reader into the car and it showed error as "Fuel Bank 1"

Killed the error and checked the live feed with the engine running and no error was found... drove it for about 2 days and the light came back on...

Been told it could be a faulty lambda sensor.. i'll be getting a custom exhaust made at the end of the month for the loop and was wondering if i'll still have to change the sensor or will the garage that makes the exhaust do that?

Appreciate all help given!

Nath

Hi!

I had exactly same problem with my 1.4 75bhp Lupo...

It took a looong time to find out the problem.

Engine is either running too rich or too lean, which causes the "fuel bank sensor" to give the error code.

A new lambda sensor costs about 300EUR(in Finland) so it was not the first thing I wanted to try. And don't buy an aftermarket part(lambda), but use a genuine vw part for that... I was told by several technicians that it might brake after a very short while or not work at all in the first place, if not the original vw part.

My problem was solved with a new spark plug lead and eventually a new lambda sensor.

But like Skezza told before, it can be faulty 02 sensor, mass air flow sensor, lambda sensor, spark plug lead, or a simple air leak.

I found this link helpful:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170

:)