Anyone know where I can get a rear cage for a lupo?

LowerclassLupo

Its only plastic though isn't it.. safer than having a metal show cage. Its hardly going to do anything if it moves in an accident. I'm gonna have a look for some smaller plastic tubing normal gutter drain pipe would look too big. Thanks Skezza I never thought of using plastic.

Any pictures?

Edited by LowerclassLupo

If it's just plastic, why bother? I've never actually heard of anyone 'showing' a car with a plastic roll cage. Seems extremely pointless, plus in the event of an accident who knows what damage shrapnel in the cabin could do, plastic or otherwise.

If it looks the same as a show cage for a fraction of the cost and weight I might give it a try. I love the look of having a roll cage but don't want to have to spend £734 or have hefty metal tubing bolted to my car and through my dash. Each to their own I guess :)

http://www.customcages.co.uk/rollcage/loadrollcage.castle?manufacturer=volkswagen&model=lupo&type=multipoint

I fitted the omp one to my arosa, it looked good but was impractical for normal road use. ive seen people use 106 ones, I think there are ones on ebay for sale

Show cages are stupid and dangerous.

If you're gonna put bits of metal tubing in your car, you better be certain they're not going to smack you in the head in the even of an accident.

Also, drain pipe hurts as well, it'll also shatter, sending nice sharp bits of plastic flying about.

£740 is actually a good price for a proper CDS, msa full cage. You will have to pay for some one to fit it properly though. It'll also do wonders for the chassis, the increase in stiffness will make an already fun car a blast to drive.

Show cages are stupid and dangerous.

If you're gonna put bits of metal tubing in your car, you better be certain they're not going to smack you in the head in the even of an accident.

Also, drain pipe hurts as well, it'll also shatter, sending nice sharp bits of plastic flying about.

£740 is actually a good price for a proper CDS, msa full cage. You will have to pay for some one to fit it properly though. It'll also do wonders for the chassis, the increase in stiffness will make an already fun car a blast to drive.

You really think a roll cage will improve stiffness that much? You'd be better off installing a front brace and being done with.

People with show cages suck. Badly.

Use drain pipes? Seriously that would look terrible.

For what it's worth, imo cages in Lupo's are totally ****ing pointless as it is. Nowhere near enough power to harness the extra rigidity. Show cages are just as stupid, trying to make it something it's not. At least with drain pipes they don't cost as much yet still look as daft.

Would I fit a real roll cage, show cage, drainage pipe cage?

No.... never. Just clarifying my position on the matter.

For what it's worth, imo cages in Lupo's are totally ****ing pointless as it is. Nowhere near enough power to harness the extra rigidity. Show cages are just as stupid, trying to make it something it's not. At least with drain pipes they don't cost as much yet still look as daft.

Would I fit a real roll cage, show cage, drainage pipe cage?

No.... never. Just clarifying my position on the matter.

The lupo I think could make use of the rigidity. The rear ARB makes a hell of a difference. Plus that why if your racecar and you roll it you want die or end up with pvc in the eye.

Skezza don't lie, thats your next mod isn't it. :tongueout:

bb%20(1).jpg

Edited by Dblock

Because clearly someone has allowed extremely simple people the privilege of owning cars. You may as well save the hassle of having anything in the back of the car blocking entry/space and just use a marker pen (£1) to draw the shapes of the bars on the rear screen and rear quarter windows, everyone will think you've got a cage and that you're reeeeeeaaally cool.

Honestly thought you was being sarcastic with the drain pipe suggestion. Why oh why would you do that?

there was a certain hint of sarcasm but then I'd argue that I don't see the point for a roll cage at all in a lupo so make of it what you will.

Because clearly someone has allowed extremely simple people the privilege of owning cars. You may as well save the hassle of having anything in the back of the car blocking entry/space and just use a marker pen (£1) to draw the shapes of the bars on the rear screen and rear quarter windows, everyone will think you've got a cage and that you're reeeeeeaaally cool.

now now

there was a certain hint of sarcasm but then I'd argue that I don't see the point for a roll cage at all in a lupo so make of it what you will.

now now

Wasn't having a go at you mate! ;) I know this sort of thing doesn't exactly take your fancy! Edited by T3LLIOTT

I think if I used a Lupo on track days, I would certainly fit a roll cage.

I've seen a few loops in breakers yards where they've been in accidents and the results are a tad worrying. The two side panels which make up most of the car's stucture are mainly held together by the firewall, the floor and the rear slam panel. The roof panel appears to be glued to the two side panels. So invariably, the roof generally peels away in a big accident where the car rolls over. There might be spot welds, but if there are any they fail during the crashing process.

The car would be much stronger if there were positive engaging corner 'pins' on the tailgate, to lock with the main body.

I'd also remove spare wheels, as they turn into projectiles...