MPG and few others... Sorry

Evening all.

I have tried to search for the answers but the search keeps coming up empty (dunno if the search bar or my head is having an off day but thought i'd ask instead).

2 weeks ago I bought a 1.4 TDI and have a few questions to ask.

-I know its been done to death but I filled the tank (or at least until it kept clicking) £32 from the light coming on. My fuel gauge is now just under 1/4 of a tank and I've done 205 miles. Does this sound a little low to you? I don't drive it stupidly. It goes to work about 8 miles away, all on 50 or 70 mph roads. I've read on here somewhere that the EGR valve can get clogged up and cause poor economy? Would it be worth cleaning it out?

-Secondly I've just checked the oil and I need some. Didn't get a manual with the car so wondering which oil to use?

-Also should I feel the turbo kick in? I know its not a massive one but would have thought I'd still feel something?

Cheers for any help and again sorry about asking what I guess are very common questions.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I've had my tdi for 2yr now and to be honest I get between 280-340 miles per tank. This is a 10 mile trip to work in the morning and running about town on the weekends etc. On a long run on motorway it's much better for economy but I don't do these often have had 380 miles plus before.

Had the major service done on mine last year and old air filter was ruined this has helped a little.

My fuel light comes on really early it's easy to get another 50 + miles out of the tank. When I do refill I always struggle to get 30 litres in so there was still around 4 litres of fuel left in the tank.

I always use the oil from vw I think it's called quantum good stuff and regular oil changes on tdi's are important.

Yes you should feel the turbo come in just over 1500 rpm it doesn't last long though but I most definitely notice mine it's one of the cars best characteristics a surge of power boost at low rpm.

Phil

Edited by Philtdi30

Oil should be 5-40 PD 505.1.

Mpg does sound low but work it out properly to see if you should be worried. Cold weather is killer of mpg and 1.4tdis need their heat so check thermostat with scangauge or vagcom.

Egr clean and remap will bump up mpg.

I've just bought a Y TDi Arosa and drive 60 miles a to and from work every day, about 20 miles on the M3 doing 50mph right now and then the rest crawling in traffic.

Right now i'm getting 55 mpg and about 390 miles to the whole tank (if I let it run down) in practice my light comes on at about 335 miles I then know for sure I can do another 30 miles. The tank is 34 litres and usually find I can put 30 litres in

Defo agree with an EGR clean, I was watching a guide on youtube last night and it looks simple enough, if you're handy with the spanners. I'd like to clean the turbo too, mine usually kicks in at 2K but it feels very laggy, but blimey when it does you really notice! I think mine has had the map tweaked.

Cheers

George

OK so...

I've done a fair few miles and just filled up.

Used 23.05 litres of fuel over 266 miles. According to an online calculator it works out to 52 mpg.

That's on a run from Wrexham to Leicester, a bit around Leicester town then Leicester to stoke and back. Mainly at motorway speeds.

Seems a bit low to me.

OK so... I've done a fair few miles and just filled up. Used 23.05 litres of fuel over 266 miles. According to an online calculator it works out to 52 mpg. That's on a run from Wrexham to Leicester, a bit around Leicester town then Leicester to stoke and back. Mainly at motorway speeds. Seems a bit low to me.

I do not own a diesel. But I heard from someone who did who had similar problems. They said this could be the MAF sensor gone faulty.