Rear coils uneven (Jom)

X8UGE

Right, fitted coilovers like a month ago and the drivers side is sitting much lower than the passenger (like 3cm). I left it as I guessed it would fix itself when they settled but it's still much lower.

Anyone is had this problem before?

Have I been mugged off and got a shot shock out of the box?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

Right, fitted coilovers like a month ago and the drivers side is sitting much lower than the passenger (like 3cm). I left it as I guessed it would fix itself when they settled but it's still much lower.

Anyone is had this problem before?

Have I been mugged off and got a shot shock out of the box?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

If the coil seats are in the same position on the shocks, and the shocks are the same and the springs are the same, the result must be the same... Check the side that is higher. Could be that the springs aren't seated right. I doubt there's a difference between the springs- at least it'd be really unusual.

If the coil seats are in the same position on the shocks, and the shocks are the same and the springs are the same, the result must be the same... Check the side that is higher. Could be that the springs aren't seated right. I doubt there's a difference between the springs- at least it'd be really unusual.

I've checked they're the same and they are as far as I can see. Will get them off at the weekend and switch them over to see if the same problem happens to the other side.

Don't forget the drivers side may naturally sit lower due to the actual driver being on that side. Not unusual.

Skezza, would it make that much of a difference? 30mm? That's loads. Unless he's really heavy...

My car drops about 10mm when I get in alone. I weigh about 90kg. And I think he means it's wonky when there's no one sitting in it. Does anyone know if the OEM springs are different rates for each side? That'll be the answer if they are. Then the only solution would be to adjust the spring seat position.

Skezza, would it make that much of a difference? 30mm? That's loads. Unless he's really heavy...

My car drops about 10mm when I get in alone. I weigh about 90kg. And I think he means it's wonky when there's no one sitting in it. Does anyone know if the OEM springs are different rates for each side? That'll be the answer if they are. Then the only solution would be to adjust the spring seat position.

Sure? Why not? On the right hand side, you've got you + the fuel tank. There's a fair amount of weight there. I would call it fairly normal for the right hand side to sit lower, noticeably lower, although 30mm does seem quite a lot. As someone who loves to experiment and play, I would swap them over and see if you still sit lower.

I believe springs can take several months to bed in to, so the difference in weight may cause the drivers side to bed quicker than the passengers side?

A lot of people say springs need to bed in. I have never ever experienced any "settling-in" with suspension springs. I know the rubber bits get squished a bit over time though. I've heard of vintage car springs bending, but I'm guessing hat is because they were made with steel alloys that are not used any more.

Same goes for valve springs. I once rebuilt an old beetle engine that hadn't been turned over for about 29 years. Took all the springs out (half were squished for 29 years with the valves open), and then checked the deflection on each one with a fixed 10kg preload. They were all still exactly the same which I was amazed at. I honestly thought that some would have needed replacing.

When I had some springs made for me through Demon Tweeks, I specified the deflection per newton loading, size and open and closed length limit, and they were fine straight out of the box. I tested one of the pair by compressing it with a set of spring compressors and leaving it like that for a month (at it's limit). Then later I measured the free length and deflection (bewteen the car chassis and concrete floor of both of them and no difference. I'm wonder if cheap springs that havn't been correctly heat treated can go beyond their 'elastic limit' and stay bent after compressing them. I don't know enough about the subject.

It makes an interesting discussion though. :)

I was out with the tape measure earlier....

Car parked on level and smooth concrete. Fuel tank almost empty. SDI engine (heavier than most i think), bigger battery than normal fitted (to start SDI engine). Tyres all at same pressure. No damage to any wheel arches from new. 14" rims.

Measuring from directly above wheel centre, from wheel arch edge to wheel rim:

Front left 170mm

Front right 160mm

Rear left 160mm

Rear right 160mm

This tells me that the driver's side front right is definitely heavier, as the wheel is pushed up higher than the other side.

What to do?

Edited by mk2