Vag Tacho 3.01- anyone had success?

mk2

I haven't bought the Vag Tacho 3.01 system yet, but at just £9 thought it may be worth a punt... (from Ebay.com not .co.uk).

Has anyone had any success coding some new keys or doing cluster swaps, lockouts etc? I've been reading that the Lupo instrument cluster is a bit different to other Vdubs.

I've given up trying to find an aftermarket steel key (brass is rubbish), and VW want like £70 for the key plus another £60 to pair it. So I thought I'd buy the ready cut OEM steel key and have a go at doing the pairing myself and save £50- and learn something new in the process. Once I have the SKF number out of the cluster, I can plug Uwe Ross's VAGCOM system in, and away I go (I think...). Fortunately I still have one OEM key in which the transponder works- so in theory I can extract the SKF, as the system will be unlocked.

I've read other threads about VT version 2.5 that it only works up to 2002 cars. Not having had a play on a Lupo in this field before, any suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Hi pal,

OK, firstly, I'm not sure you're able to code keys using vag tacho, but you can obtain your SKU which is then used to code a new key using VAG-COM. You used to be able to get this for free from VW dealers, but nowadays, they refuse to give it.

The clusters in Lupo's are pre-VDO where the immobilizer is built into the instruments panel, they're the old Motometer units. Totally modular, so they don't need coding at all, they're not even paired with the ECU, so yu don't need to code them at all. The easiest way to clock a VW Lupo is to buy a cluster off ebay with low mileage for £20 lol. That said, the mileage is still stored in the ECU somewhere, ask Geoff he knows where I think.

What do you mean lockouts? The central locking mechanisms are just big solenoids. No coding their either.

SKF? Do you mean the SKU. Again, that's not in the cluster, that's ECU mate. You can extract the SKU using the VAG-TACHO then you can adapt the keys using VAG-COM.

The cheapo eBay jobs are okay. I wouldn't really want to do too much coding though. Just use for reading.

Cheaper version only supports immo2 immobilizers which are pre-2002 Loops, but GTI are immo3. 2002 onwards switch to immo3. Much harder to work on.

Yeah, i meant sku. I'm used to using the bosch ecus where you can lock out 'sections'... Don't mean the locks.

I'll buy a vag tacho thing and when it arrives next year give it a go... I have vagcom already. Yet another plug in lead...

I'm amazed that you can simply swap out the clocks. Even on old golfs you can't do that. You need to match everything, keys, cluster and ecu....