how many miles has you Lupo done?

weslangdon

Booked in at the redoubtable Graham Batt, in Bristol. :-)

He's quoted 290, plus... how much have other people paid for a cambelt change recently?

I paid £400.00 at vw main dealer just a few months ago for the following.

Cambelt kit

water pump

auxiliary belt kit

On my 1.4 TDI

And car was fully washed valerted etc I thought it was a decent price personally

Phil

bought my sport on 130,000 and its now done 166,000. . .

I paid £400.00 at vw main dealer just a few months ago for the following. Cambelt kit water pump auxiliary belt kit On my 1.4 TDI And car was fully washed valerted etc I thought it was a decent price personally Phil

Hmm, got me thinking now - I suppose I ought to have those other items replaced, while they're doing the cam belt - would other folks agree??

It was to do with the belt tensioners prone to failing too.

I suppose it's on your head, I got mine done at 4 years, then 5, but my sort of mileage is only between 3 and 5k a year.

I'm currently playing a little game of cambelt lottery. It's kind of like Russian roulette with your car. If we're all in agreement that the belt really should be done at 40k or 4/5 years, I'm currently on 43k and about 2 years. In all honesty, there is some dispute about this, but I'm firmly in the camp that time adds more wear than actual use to these belts. The belt was designed to withstand a surprisingly high amount of force. Yes, use will wear a belt, but rubber degrades over time, simple. So, I'm going to chance 50k, which I firmly believe it will make, at which point I'll have it done.

Hooray - Lupo all done. For 400 sov.s I got timing belt / tensioners / guide, axillary belt, water pump and anti-freeze/inhibitor. Not that I like giving away that amount of money, but Hey.

I got chatting to the mechanic about mileages and belts and he told me that he has a regular customer, who owns a 1.4 TDi Polo that has got 225K on the clock and is still going strong :-)))

He also said he'd only seen about 6 belt failures in many years of working, but folks - that doesn't mean it won't happen...

• 2 weeks later...
Hooray - Lupo all done. For 400 sov.s I got timing belt / tensioners / guide, axillary belt, water pump and anti-freeze/inhibitor. Not that I like giving away that amount of money, but Hey.

I got chatting to the mechanic about mileages and belts and he told me that he has a regular customer, who owns a 1.4 TDi Polo that has got 225K on the clock and is still going strong :-)))

He also said he'd only seen about 6 belt failures in many years of working, but folks - that doesn't mean it won't happen...

My 1.4 went through 2 belts in less than a year! the first one was at 48k and was expensive for me the second was at 52k and was expensive for the garage that did the first repair do it when you can and get it done by a good mechanic.

The guys at Graham Batt's tell me that the early Lupo water pumps ought to be replaced as they an issue with disintegrating impellers, but that the later pumps are good to last.. what do folk think?

They don't disintegrate, the problem is its a plastic impeller on a metal shaft and it falls off and just sits there. VW/Seat are aware of it as it was the dealer who told me what happens and how to check if its working when your car overheats :yes:

What's your SDi's mileage Skezza?

136k, slowed down what with the Christmas break but come tomorrow I'll be doing 80 miles plus a day again.
  • Like 1

136k, slowed down what with the Christmas break but come tomorrow I'll be doing 80 miles plus a day again.

You've got some catching up to do!

My December 2001 SDi is on 198k. Owned her for ten years this month since she was on 24,993 miles. I've always had the cambelt changed at 50k miles intervals, so that's another bill coming up soon...

You've got some catching up to do!My December 2001 SDi is on 198k. Owned her for ten years this month since she was on 24,993 miles. I've always had the cambelt changed at 50k miles intervals, so that's another bill coming up soon...

I'm going 50k rather than 40k this time

• 1 month later...