What is the cheapest/best way to lower my car? Topmounts? Please help :)

LUPILU

I have looked about and seen so many different ideas that people have suggested, but basically i want to get some adjustable suspension put in (the reason i want it adjustable is because i may get some new wheels in the future and so if they are bigger/small then the suspension set up will need to change right?), and i have heard pro's and con's of a £200 coil-over set. But i read some person said this on the forum:

"Buy some front top mounts and bearings, makes it a bolt out - bolt in replacement instead of messing with spring clamps and taking the original top mounts off. Fairly straightforward after that really."

How much would this cost to go about doing it this way, and what the hell even is a top mount? Can someone send me a link of some, as i googled it and it returned nothing really? :surprised: im quite mechanically minded and that (would you believe! haha :clap: ), but suspension is new grounds for me, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks people!

Budget coilies: £200ish

New top mounts: £20ish

Top mounts + bearings: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-LUPO-POLO-PAIR-OF-FRONT-STRUT-TOP-MOUNT-BUSH-BEARING-/180871360127

They go on top of the shocks.

Budget coilies: £200ish

New top mounts: £20ish

Top mounts + bearings: http://www.ebay.co.u...G-/180871360127

They go on top of the shocks.

Thanks for that mate, so do i not need a set for the rear of the car then? This won't be cheap after all , insurance want £128 extra then comes the price of all this, so nearly £400 just to lower my car! haha :surprise:

No just 2 for the fronts. You might want to replace the rear bump stops depending what state they're in, the place I got my top mounts from didn't sell them & I was fitting them the next day so I didn't bother, luckily the originals were in reasonable condition

How do these lower the car exactly ? Are they pushing the suspension down or something I don't get it

Do you mean the top mounts?

The top mounts don't lower anything, they hold the metal parts of the suspension away from the metal of the suspension turret and make sure it's secured in place.

Do you mean the top mounts?

The top mounts don't lower anything, they hold the metal parts of the suspension away from the metal of the suspension turret and make sure it's secured in place.

Yeah you need the top mounts and the coilies :lol:

The poly top mounts may well be 10mm lower than standard rubber, however polyeurethane doesn't compress as much as rubber.

You'll probably find that the ride height will be almost identical but the ride quality will be harder.