Non starting Lupo 1.4 16v Sport

Stu

Hi All,

I have a problem with my wife's Lupo 1.4 16v not starting. It's the 100PS AFK engine, just cranks over and over but won't start so tried to diagnose it with VAG-COM.

It shows two fault codes on the engine but everything else tests as ok:

00609 - Ignition Output 1

26-10 output open intermittent

00610 - Ignition Output 2

I can clear them but each time you try to start the car they return. What do they point to?

I've done some searching on the web about these faults but can't find any specific info.

I should say that the engine was making a nasty noise last week, but started and ran fine, so I started investigating under the bonnet - checking plugs etc so may have disturbed something to now cause an ignition fault. The timing belt looks fine, the compression tested as ok on all cylinders when it would run last week and the plugs appeared to be sparking.

Battery is in good condition and fully charged and I've replaced the plugs but it's made no difference.

Any ideas or references on where to look up what these codes point to? I've only ever worked on older VW's with carbs or mechanical injection really so am a bit stumped with this!

Thanks

Stu

I've sorted this now - for info if it affects anyone else, these codes relate to the ignition amplifier wiring. I removed it, cleaned up the connections where it bolts onto the transformer, put it back and reset the codes and it was ok :)

Engine still making a funny noise though so that's next to look at.

Cheers

Stu

stu what did you do exactly to fix these.

Hi - I will post a pic I took of the ignition amplifier connections when I get chance, should help explain which bits needed cleaning up in my case.

Thanks

Stu

00609 - Ignition Output 1

00610 - Ignition Output 2

Looks like the Ignition outputs on your ecu are dead.

Remove the ECU and open it up, see if there looks to be any water damage as water damaged ECU's are starting to be a bit of a common problem on Lupo's

Here you go - this is what was causing those fault codes on our Lupo:

DSC00790.jpg

I carefully removed the ignition amplifier from the transformer (three allen screws) and the connections between the two were bunged up with oily gunge. Cleaned them out, re-fitted, cleared the fault codes and it was ok. Hope this helps :)

Here you go - this is what was causing those fault codes on our Lupo:

DSC00790.jpg

I carefully removed the ignition amplifier from the transformer (three allen screws) and the connections between the two were bunged up with oily gunge. Cleaned them out, re-fitted, cleared the fault codes and it was ok. Hope this helps :)

Sweet ill have a look at that tomorrow.

Thanks for the pic.