Shark fin aerial

Mike_M

Well after having my Honda S2000 aerial nicked I refused to buy another one for it to happen again so looked into gettinga VW shark fin item (1K0 035 507 J)

These aerials have a different connector to pre 2005 VW's and the aerials workin a different way so some modding is required.

I first got the shark fin from VW

3.jpg

and then a spare standard aerial bases to work with :

1.jpg

I then took apart the shark fin and then the standard aerial bases

I transfered the standard aerial into the shark fin and did a little rewiring to fit etc

Put it all back together

8.jpg

Took the inside of my car apart to get the roof lining down :blink: and then unbolted the original aerial to install the new shark fin.

I routed the long black aerial (8amp cable) on the roof lining and put it all back together.

9.jpg

10.jpg

FM radio works perfectly fine and better than the standard if aerial is positioned correctly after a little trial and error. Some weak channels are a little poor, but others are fine.

In the summer I may colour code the uper part of the shark fin, but will see :) EDIT: Colourcoded it already :)

Edited by Mike_M

The pictures do not do it justice and planning on colour coding the upper half in the summer so it should look even better when that is done....mainly did it as got sick and tired of people nicking the aerial but each to their own :P

Radio reception is fine, as long as you transfer and rewire a few bits as I have done.

Edited by mike_m

heya, did you route the 3m's of 8amp around the back window or actually between the roof and headlining?

heres hows mines been looking since November... just have shoddy reception haha...

fin.jpg

cheers

May have to tackle some re-wireing myself (Well, not myself - someone else :P)

My stubby ariel is the smartest one ive seen and imo nicer than a sharky, but there is absolutely no reception at all :(

But top narna Mike for doing something different :)

cheers =D

yeah mines not oem, just like the way the shape compliments the rest of the car imo

must say if/when yours gets coded, itl look even better

• 1 month later...