Remapped lupo tdi or lupo 16v sport?

Danimal

You not a fan of unreliable engines then ? :D

All petrols lupos are crap. Well the gti is 50/50 but I'd rather have a 106 gti. Anyways I had one. The unreliable engine is just one part. The gearbox is made of cheese, the pedal box fails and the 16v is thirsty as hell like 30mpg.

The sport can be fun but it's also tiring revving the crap out of it to get anywhere. I'm a petrol fan but the sport seems to have no torque and needs to be revved to get anywhere. On a country road I understand that it's fun kissing the red line but round town it seems a lot of fuss to go no where.

So the tdi might sound rough and not be as fun round country roads BUT your getting double mpg and much much better reliability.

The 1.0 and 1.4 are okay.

IMO they suck too. I'd go diesel or gti personally. If I was to get another engine size id go for a different car. 1l yaris's are much better than 1l lupos. I test drove a 1l lupo after passing and it was slow to a new driver. And sitting at 4krpm does nothing for a nice experience or mpg.

IMO they suck too. I'd go diesel or gti personally. If I was to get another engine size id go for a different car. 1l yaris's are much better than 1l lupos. I test drove a 1l lupo after passing and it was slow to a new driver. And sitting at 4krpm does nothing for a nice experience or mpg.

You don't want a diesel for tootling the shops though. Diesel is great for me though.

Buy a japanese petrol then. Much more reliable better built and the engine won't blew up.

Not heard of many Lupo's blowing up. The petrol ones are what they are. I found the 1.0 slow and not brilliant on fuel but it was solid a great cheap run around. The 1.4 is probably a great second car. E.g. pass your test by a Lupo, do nothing. Two years of safe driving go buy a 1.4 and start enjoying yourself.

Plus, whatever people say about Lupo's ("they're girls cars, they're granny cars" two stereotypes I've heard), fact is they ooze VW quality from that era, unlike the Fox which was clearly built to a budget.

When you say buy a Japanese petrol, what are we thinking here? A Daihatsu Cuore? Suzuki Swift? Let's be realistic here, people buying their first car can't afford a new Civic (or perhaps he an old one) so they've got a choice between a Lupo or, as Marty from Mighty Car Mods calls them, affectionately, a Blue Turd.

Daihatsu Cuore Pov Spec

pictures_daihatsu_cuore_1999_1.jpg

Lupo Pov Spec.

svm520.jpg

Don't get me wrong I love Cuore's mate. I very nearly bought a top spec Cuore Avanzato, the rally model which are like missiles but a base model is a pretty uninspiring car. Worse still, they're ****ing death traps with regards to accidents, unlike the Lupo's which are fundamentally pretty safe cars for their class.

Also chance of £30 tax and generally good tdi's even when high mileage don't really depreciate.

Only if you keep the paper work and what not. I wouldn't touch a TDi that hasn't been serviced regularly. Inevitable turbo failure.

I'd personally have a yaris 1l or Micra over a lupo 1l. The Japanese petrols are much cheaper to maintain and the engine are bombproof. A 2001 Micra had been overheating for 1-2 years as the radiator had no water as there was a leak. Woman owner never checked it. After all that just added water and the engine was fine. No warping or skimming needed.

If you have enough money for a second car why waste you time on a 1.4? Buy a gti which isn't Much worse on fuel or if it's just a daily get a diesel.

I'm not really a fan of VW's TBH. I'm a jap car sort of guy but I do agree the lupo was a good car for the time and the fox etc sucked in comparison even today. I also think the PD and Sdi engines are some of the best diesels made. They don't produce silly power like a 335d but they will get great mpg and last forever so long you take car of them. But I can't say that applies to the petrol models.

The engines might not blow up on petrols but the gearbox will. The engines are also thristy for the performance you get. Each to their own and all that but IMO if you want a small petrol I,e not a gti there are better things to buy. All IMO

My first car was a Micra, I didn't have time to do any mechanics as I was far too busy putting it on the roof.

Then within the same year I had another two Micras, the second was a 1.0 and the third was a 1.3.

So much fun, took so much abuse and then I had to declare the first one on my second year of insurance so I took a few years off driving and just got pissed all the time whilst working.

• Like 1

The original Micra's are great cars. Engines last forever.

No cambelt either right? Just oil change and an air filter every so often and you're good to go?

The K10 ones had a cambelt. My mum ran a red one for 11 years before getting a Fresco Lupo SE, was 100% reliable except when the original battery gave up (it was 15 years old by that point so it lasted well!)

The K10 ones had a cambelt. My mum ran a red one for 11 years before getting a Fresco Lupo SE, was 100% reliable except when the original battery gave up (it was 15 years old by that point so it lasted well!)

The one I like is the one with a chain that is a well known takeaway wagon. They're takeaway wagons for a reason. They never stop running, well, until the feds nick you for having no tax :P

The k10's are old but still great cars. The k11 had the chain I think which removes an expensive service.

They get hammered too but just keep going.

I'd have a K11. Only Micra I would have.

Some of them are decent spec as well:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/2000-nissan-micra-inspiration-16v-yellow-ac-/1086461681

I'd have that.

The one I like is the one with a chain that is a well known takeaway wagon. They're takeaway wagons for a reason. They never stop running, well, until the feds nick you for having no tax :P

Yeah, that's the 'bubble shape' K11. The 1.3 Super S is where it's at.