Air con Removal

m8ngn

Just a quick one,

I have just bought a lupo GTI, Again! and it will be getting stripped out early next year so on the topic, i believe the air con pump is making a slight squealing noise if i remove the air con compressor and all ancillaries air con wise can i use a non air con Gti drive belt which in effect will remove the air con system?

Cheers in advance

Martyn

Haha cheers guys, the car is getting stripped in the new year anyway for track use so any weight saving is beneficial, who need air con in England anyway. So i think its possible to run a non air con belt on it.

Edited by m8ngn
  • Like 1

Haha cheers guys, the car is getting stripped in the new year anyway for track use so any weight saving is beneficial, who need air con in England anyway. So i think its possible to run a non air con belt on it.

hottest summer in England for a while?

I certainly could have done with it. Still, if you decide throw the bits out let me know, quite fancy retrofitting. Dash out job but worth it I reckon.

hottest summer in England for a while?

I certainly could have done with it. Still, if you decide throw the bits out let me know, quite fancy retrofitting. Dash out job but worth it I reckon.

Worth it in winter for getting rid of condensation alone.

Is the belt tight? Loose belts can squeal.

Worth it in winter for getting rid of condensation alone.

Is the belt tight?

Its a bearing noise i think belt seems fine.

Yeah, just start ripping it all out, if you can be arsed fit a non ac airbox.

Hmm confused at this part what will the benefit be Rich?

Kind of a side topic, but is the 'basic' air con system the same as is fitted to the polo? I'd like fit it to my sdi... It'll make it even slower! I wonder if AC was an option on the sdi, as you need the compressor bracket. That's probably the hardest thing on a retrofit.

I want a Rallye but I refuse to buy one at the current prices as I want to rip it apart and make it mine upon re-assembly.

In an ideal world I'd love to find a rapey one which actually warrants what I want to do.

Can I tempt you with a 24V golf mk2 ?

• Like 1

I want a Rallye but I refuse to buy one at the current prices as I want to rip it apart and make it mine upon re-assembly.

In an ideal world I'd love to find a rapey one which actually warrants what I want to do.

Can I tempt you with a 24V golf mk2 ?

If you buy a nice GTi Lupo now, store it, in 15 years it'll be worth more than you paid for it. I'm sure they'll be considered classics...

24V VR6 Urgh (sorry!). I don't know a single one that didn't have design problems. Even the latest 3.6FSI has problems with the inlet valves clogging up after about 80k. Not a few. Every single engine produced. The problem is that the engineers forgot that breather fumes are sticky. Add some heat and the 'particles' stick to the back of the inlet valves. No fuel wash to clean them... Every FSI with direct injection. Huge oversight. And the FSI has fuel pump problems with that little cam driven pump which bungs the pressure up to 120PSI. The older 2.8 and 3.2 had hot spots (they needed an electric pump to keep circulating the coolant after switch off, otherwise the head would warp). And corrosion on the 2.9 head... But when new, they were very nice.

Oh, and the FSI concept is a big con.

What do you have planned for a Rallye? An old quattro if you can find one? Or how about a MK2 Golf countryman or 4WD version. But you'd want to change the viscous coupling to something a bit beefier for fun.

I'd keep a Rallye standard.

I have a Lupo GTI at the minute, can I tempt you with that ?

Just have a new SDI arrival I'm working on for the next few months.... But thanks for the offer!

Kind of a side topic, but is the 'basic' air con system the same as is fitted to the polo? I'd like fit it to my sdi... It'll make it even slower! I wonder if AC was an option on the sdi, as you need the compressor bracket. That's probably the hardest thing on a retrofit.

Unfortunately AC was never an option on the SDI model. :unsure:

Unfortunately AC was never an option on the SDI model. :unsure:

I thought that might be the case... I looked in Etka, and it didn't show up in the right combination there either. I suppose it's because there simply isn't enough space for a compressor. But I suppose it could go right above everything, just where the fuel hoses are, but how the belt would need to be routed I have no idea.

I'll have to get one of my spare compressors out and have a play to see what size would fit. It could go where the alternator is, but then I'd have to move the alternator. mmmm tricky. There's lots of places a mounting cradle could be bolted on though, which makes it 'doable'.

I thought that might be the case... I looked in Etka, and it didn't show up in the right combination there either. I suppose it's because there simply isn't enough space for a compressor. But I suppose it could go right above everything, just where the fuel hoses are, but how the belt would need to be routed I have no idea.

I'll have to get one of my spare compressors out and have a play to see what size would fit. It could go where the alternator is, but then I'd have to move the alternator. mmmm tricky. There's lots of places a mounting cradle could be bolted on though, which makes it 'doable'.

Negative. It was only UK models that didn't have AC. European SDIs have it, unless it is a retrofit

Right got the air con compressor off etc now the new non air con belt wont fit! Do i need to change the whole mount where the alternator bolts onto? Wish i never bothered lol