failed gasket or warped head

At the seam of the head to the bottom of the engine there is a significant seeping of fluid. (Think it is oil but not sure if just darkened coolant)

The engine over heats. And I am servicing the camel soon and waterpump checking ther most at and the fan for low speeds. And hoping it may help

But I'm pretty sure enough damage is done.

With doing a compression test, would it just tell me that there is a problem of would it show towards one way or another?

If the head needs skimming will this affect the injectors as they are built in.

Hoping for rich (edit from rick. Stupid auto correct), d block, tdi owners or anyone who can help to chime in.

Edited by Keelan

Hi!

I had a similar issue a while ago. Luckily it turned out to be many different problems all coming at the same time.

To start with, my lupo was drinking a lot of coolant liquid. Also it was pretty dark looking, so I was sure it was mixed with oil...

Engine sounded quite nice for a diesel, but unfortunately it happens to be petrol.

It gave an engine fault code as well. When cleared, it would come again after a while.

I had the compression thing done you mentioned, and it did tell me that there is a problem with the third cylinder. Slightly weaker pressure and misfire.

It was also leaking oil, not so that I would find marks on the ground, but when I lifted the engine up, there was oil all around the place.

And it was drinking fuel like crazy.

Solutions:

Drinking coolant; a new cap for the expansion tank. (Vw problem they say, it might start losing coolant somehow through the cap)

Third cylinder problem was fixed with a new lead... After that no problems.

Engine fault code turned out to be a faulty lambda sensor. Changing that sensor fixed the fuel drinking problem as well.

Oil was leaking through a stefa(oil seal) in the gearbox. Eventually the whole gearbox had to be changed, since it couldn't take long driving with not enough oil in it.

The engine still sounds like it was diesel, but I've been told that it's not a fault, it's a common thing at least with many Polo's :)

I wrote this down, because I would have been really pissed if I would have opened the engine to fix a failed head gasket(i was really close to do that actually) just to find out that there's nothing wrong with it and that the problem is somewhere else.

Yes, the compressing thing works and it gives the idea if there's something fishy in one of the cylinders, but don't draw too heavy conclusions only based on that :)

Some of the experts here said that he has never heard of head gasket failure when it comes to lupo's.