04 Lupo 1.0L e getting 20 MPG?

Hi, I'm sorry to barge in with questions as this is only my second post. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the forum more when I can actually afford to drive my lupo. :glare:

I bought my first car a few weeks ago which is a 2004 1L lupo e, I've only done 75 miles since brimming the tank and I'm almost on half a tank already. I've calculated this to be 21 mpg. The cars history seems to be good with regular servicing and has only done 56K miles, the previous owner was a mechanic and had done the cam belt recently.

I'm trying to figure out what could be the cause of this if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks,

That's not right.

Have you been doing a lot of short journeys ?

Only to college and back, roughly 2 miles urban and 3 miles dual carriageway. It does seem to have a sticky clutch peddle that I've not quite mastered yet however I doubt this would make my MPG this bad?

Clutch pedal issue may be the pedal box - search on here for more info.

Regarding the fuel consumption?

Is it leaking out? Check under the fuel filter when the engine is running and after it's been stood overnight.

Are you definately brimming the tank? How many litres are you putting in it?

Does your coolant temperature sensor work properly (gradual rise to 90, where it stays constantly)

Tyre pressures all ok? Any other issues at all, noises etc? No lights on dash?

Clutch pedal issue may be the pedal box - search on here for more info.

Regarding the fuel consumption?

Is it leaking out? Check under the fuel filter when the engine is running and after it's been stood overnight.

Are you definately brimming the tank? How many litres are you putting in it?

Does your coolant temperature sensor work properly (gradual rise to 90, where it stays constantly)

Tyre pressures all ok? Any other issues at all, noises etc? No lights on dash?

Yeah, I'd heard of the pedal box issues, that's something I might try sorting after I've sorted the terrible fuel consumption. There's no signs of leaks under the car but I'll have a look there when it's light out. I brimmed the tank until the pump wouldn't let me put any more in, was on 1/4 tank then put another £30 worth in. I think the coolant sensor is working as it stays at the half way mark. There's no resistance from the brakes and tyre pressures are fine too. No dash lights or strange noises from the engine.

Filled it up for the second time I've owned it today. The fuel gauge said I was nearing empty (red) so I filled up, turned out only needed £16.80 worth of fuel (13L) to brim it and piss it down my leg since I was complacent and watching the pump waiting for it to be at about £40. This makes me think the fuel gauge is nackered, is it possible these get stuck if the car's sat for a while, hence the inaccurate reading I'm getting?

Filled it up for the second time I've owned it today. The fuel gauge said I was nearing empty (red) so I filled up, turned out only needed £16.80 worth of fuel (13L) to brim it and piss it down my leg since I was complacent and watching the pump waiting for it to be at about £40. This makes me think the fuel gauge is nackered, is it possible these get stuck if the car's sat for a while, hence the inaccurate reading I'm getting?

Brim your tank and run till a quarter a few times. I reckon that'll sort it.

• Like 1