James's Lupo - Ketty

James_VW

Not too shabby with the work mate!!! Nice to see you getting stuck in yourself tbh! Especially as you say you're not a mechanic!

Cheers :thumbup:

One thing I've learnt is that...

If its not one thing its something else, that goes wrong!

Its all fun and games tho :thumbsup:

Cheers :thumbup:

One thing I've learnt is that...

If its not one thing its something else, that goes wrong!

Its all fun and games tho :thumbsup:

i agree!!! i look at as if somethings broke it means you can fix it better than it was!

Forgot to mention that I also got these few bits

Removed both the sport front callipers and cleaned those up.

Had little trouble with one of calliper bleed nipples, rusted solid! That snapped but picked another calliper up for next to nothing :thumbup:

Painted with VHT red and has new stainless bleed nipples.

IMAG1543_zps72f3fd4c.jpg

Also managed to snatch up a genuine GTI spoiler in primer, will also need to get a brake light for it.

IMAG1537_zps24e92f95.jpg

Also got hold of a BMC CDA

IMAG1546_zps43ffaa97.jpg

Anybody know where to get calliper rebuild kits? Not the piston but all of the seals?

• 2 weeks later...

Minor Update:

Polo GTI engine is now on engine stand ready for cleaning up. Any advice on maintenance to do whilst its out?

IMAG1613_zpsbbyvfwo2.jpg

IMAG1614_zpswhaoshb7.jpg

Definite work on sump needed... Looks like some sort of putty sealant.

IMAG1620_zpsd3hqwmcn.jpg

Donor Lupo is now in, started stripping this, very clean interior :thumbup:

IMAG1622_zpsangvajxe.jpg

That's all really, If anybody's interested the lupo is for breaking except whole interior :thumbsup:

Hopefully, but still a lot to do and this crappy weather doesn't help!

Not really to sure when good events are on? Is there a website which shows them all with date's?

You want to get hold of the Performance VW Magazine show special. It has a calender inside with plenty of show dates on!

Also Dub Fiction is a good local show in Bakewell in June/July. Quite a few of us went who are on here! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Little more on the sport...

Finished stripping the interior of the donor Lupo :thumbup: Everything was surprising simple tbh, even the dashboard.

IMAG1667_zpsmkmibh5v.jpg

Also removed the pedal Box from the donor, as it has the throttle potentiometer which is needed for the Polo GTI conversion as my sport has DBW.

Only slight obstacle was the brake pedal clip, had a quick read and the response was to brake the clip and replace it so after a quick pull it's off.

This is what was holding the brake pedal on.

IMAG1683_zpsk85dofpp.jpg

Started to add parts to the sport. Firstly the window switches were knackered so put new ones in, this sorted all problems. strangely the old ones were back to front :surprised:

Meaning pressing up would put the window down and vice versa... the other window didnt even work... All sorted now :thumbsup:

IMAG1674_zpssgqbnizr.jpg

IMAG1675_zpsqd7j19le.jpg

Also fixed the heating, sort off... To begin with the heating cords wasn't even working properly, the wire was bent and wouldn't pull the toggles, etc.. Put the ones from the donor in and there working decently.

The speed setting wasn't working on number 2 so swapped the resistor with the donor one. speed setting 2 is still not working but both resistors were rusted.. so may purchase a new one after trying a known working one from ketty. If not I'm not entirely sure what it could be :/ Possibly blower, although if it was that wouldn't it not work at any speed? Also the directional control is very stiff, so may blast the swivel thing under dash with a bit of WD40 to try to loosen it a bit.

IMAG1676_zpssorlaikw.jpg

Had a quick look at removing the steering wheel, as I've heard that now, a car with a factory fitted air-bag has to have it fitted to pass an MOT? you cant remove the air-bag light from the speedo?

But look at this... this is going to be fun... not. A couple did come out but will have to think of a way to remove the others. Probably hammer and chisel and try to smash them round or smash in a larger Allan key...

IMAG1669_zpslrfiyyfk.jpg

Other than that put a few stuff in the sport, carpet bit of black plastic. Have to say black carpet and plastics look far better than the grey stuff :thumbsup:

IMAG1682_zps7ohs4ory.jpg

IMAG1673_zps6rttphb4.jpg

Next plan... Get the heaters fully working, Put lower dash back on, centre console, all other black plastics etc, find a nice sticker to cover up the hole in the dash...(not fitting the other dash until I do the GTI conversion), rebuild front callipers, paint/rebuild rear callipers, braided brake lines all round, DOT 5 brake fluid, full service... I'm enjoying it so far not had to deal with any big problems thankfully :clap:

Cheers mate :) Will try to. But keep forgetting to take more photo's...

I do have some easy outs, good call.

Thanks! Thought I would do a build thread as it may help others and shows progress once it done :)

Finally all the snow has gone so meant a good clean for Ketty!

IMAG1694_zpso8v4aqbl.jpg

IMAG1696_zpsdeem5uzl.jpg

A bit more work on the sport!

Firstly, these are B*****D :rant: Always seems to dig into you when working...

IMAG1706_zpskxhunovd.jpg

The old sub-woofer wires had been removed except a little from the stereo side, literally removed it by pulling on it... So I need to get round to soldering the original wires back together and adding an extension to it so the original wires aren't messed with. I feel it keeps things more tidy and manageable as you can chop and solder anything onto the extension piece. :thumbup:

IMAG1671_zpsylworod7.jpg

Whilst the rest of the rear plastics were still out I ran new sub-woofer wires to the back. This made it so much easier to hide the wires :thumbsup:

IMAG1707_zpssteo6xe0.jpg

Then started to build the rear plastics back up.

IMAG1712_zpsbwpk4rmg.jpg

IMAG1714_zpsysb59rsp.jpg

IMAG1715_zpscbtkoj60.jpg

Need to get hold of the upper centre console bit without the hole for the Hazard switch, also need to sort out all of the blanks on the centre console. I think on the older style there was an added storage slot, so need to grab one of them. Need to get some cup holders that fit in the stereo section, but looking at the price of them :rant:

Got some Braided brake lines.

IMAG1719_zpsl5swib6w.jpg

Next up is to get some type of waterproof material on door cards! Will go to the stealership and see if you can get them from there otherwise will have to make some :angry2:

Need to get lots of the plastic clips as they inevitably break.

Still need to rebuild the front callipers and order new disc and pads.

So much to do, so little time...

Looks very very nice, I think you can still get the door linings. Don't know how much though.

Thanks :tongueout: Will have to give them a ring, hopefully they will!

Loving the restoration work especially given how few sports there are!

Cheers :thumbup: Apparently there are around 10 White Sports in the UK :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to work on the sport :tongueout:

Interior is almost complete, managed to get the headlining in with sun visors etc..

Did a dodgy job on the door cards. Taped up the area where the soundproof material is supposed to be. Is only a temporary job for the time being

IMAG1734_zps91c4hdvb.jpg

IMAG1735_zpsnl2wxeuv.jpg

After a bit of fiddling got the door cards on in a fashion... (Like I say only temporary till i do it properly)

IMAG1739_zpskxavthlg.jpg

IMAG1738_zpsmugqiiph.jpg

Did a bit of soldering on the media wires, so they are back to normal. Already have a extension piece that I can chop up when messing with Audio stuff.

IMAG1747_zpshg1vofor.jpg

The only bigger update is that the front callipers have been restored. Both have had new seals, painted, sliders cleaned and greased, stainless bleed nipples and had new braided lines fitted to them.

IMAG1749_zps6wxuybm7.jpg

IMAG1748_zpsclxfbtsz.jpg

Just need to bleed all brakes again with DOT5.1 fluid. Gave the fronts a quick bleed and the fluid that came out was cloudy and dirty. Wish I had got a photo.

Future Plans:

Finish odd few interior jobs and clean

Fit seats

General Service (Oil, oil filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, coolant, sump plug, wiper blades, light bulbs)

Fit BMC CDA

Paint/refurb rear brakes

Fit standard steering wheel and airbag for MOT

Once that's done put it through an MOT and pray it passes :thumbup:

Full respray will be looked at later in year.

Something which is currently tempting me is Lupo GTI Aluminium doors and Bonnet. As the body work, especially doors aren't brilliant condition, then I may as well get the lighter body parts as I will be having a full respray.

• Like 2