1.4 16v oil pressure problem fix

Patronu

Hello clublupo

I have a 1.4 16v AUA lupo bought recently and like many others my oil pressure light started to blink.

Changed the sensor, checked the sump, oil pump looks relatively new or reconditioned and still no fix. No smoke from the exhaust at all. Doesn't drink oil, maybe just a bit but normal. Checked the oil pressure and it doesn't go over 2 bar when hot. The engine could have been rebuilded as I've heard these engines drink a lot of oil. Unfortunately I have no history.

I've put castrol edge 10w60 and that partially solved the problem. On cruising speeds light doesn't blink only after a while after engine reaches temperature! and driving around town. When cold and a while after gets to temperature there's no problem. The engine seems to be "degrading" the oil as in the first miles there's no blinking.

I was going to replace it with the 1.6 8v SR engine found on golf but stupid regulations make that very expensive to get it legal.

So I'm looking for at least a temporary fix until I'll buy a tdi. I was thinking to replace the head with a used one but that ain't cheap either and above all it might not fix anything. Also I'm thinking a better cooling could help since on the highway wind blows on the radiator while around town doesn't.

Any sugestions?

Thanks.

Thanks but that doesn't seem to be enough with this one. :lol:

Also after less than 200 miles the oil got dirty and I did flush it before with some liqui moly stuff. I have absolutely no idea what is going on over there.

Do you still have the car? How has been running the last couple of years? Did the low oil pressure cause any mechanical problems to the engine or the way it sounds? I don't mind the light blinking as long as it runs well in the future.

I'm thinking to put a lot of oil additives in it so the oil keeps its high viscosity at temperature.

Yer she's still plodding along, no strange noises at all, just the beeping when coming off the motorway and usually in the same spot coming home grrr.

There was a way to test the wiring, but I didn't understand the method of testing so never did.

I've changed the oil pressure switch, oil change, took dash out and sprayed connectors, sprayed the connect to the oil pressure switch.

I'm thinking if it was wiring it would do it all the time, not only just after coming off the motorway, but doesn't use oil and oil getting to the top, so i'm confused.

Might take the box at the back of the engine where all the mayo builds up, oil breather system I think it is, but again doubt that'll do out grrr!!

Oil goes black because of the cleaning agents picking up crap off the inside of your engine. I wouldn't be too concerned by the colour.

When you say you flushed it, how did you go about it, a proper flush using something like Forte will drop some seriously nasty stuff, even if the car has been cared for.

I blamed the wiring at some point but due to its behavior I don't think its the case here.

I used this. The one in the picture but without any "plus" on it. Ran the engine at idle for about 10 minutes then changed the oil and filter. Haven't seen forte products around here. I'll search on ebay for it if you're kind to show me the exact thing.

Edited by Patronu

Only after about 30 minutes or so in city driving. With castrol 10w60 at cruising speeds it doesn't come on only when slowing down. I'm suspecting the cold air blowing on the engine influences the temperature or something. Its behavior it weirder then my girlfriends.

• 3 weeks later...