Lupo TDI 3L didn't start after car wash

durao

Hi,

Today I went to give my Lupo the first wash of the year. I chose the most complete washing program which includes cleaning under the car.

The lights went green to start washing, I entered and turned the engine off.

When the washing finished, I tried to start the engine, but it didn't. After some tens of crank revolutions the engine finally started, but I got the glow plug yellow light flashing (the one similar to a coil).

When I arrive home I managed to connect the VAGCOM to the ECU, cleaned all the engine (0x01) errors and the flashing glow plug light turned off. Nice.

Following this I tried to start the engine twice, and it fired with no problems. Nice. The worse was yet to come.

Later I needed to go somewhere and turned the key on 2nd position. Waited the glow plug light to turn off, and it did, but I noticed something strange, I didn't hear the low pitched vibrating sound I was used to hear after turning the key to 2nd and before starting the engine. This was followed by hundreds of crank revolutions trying to start the engine, and it didn't, yet.

I don't know where the sound I was used to hear came from. I don't know what is causing the engine not to fire. I am guessing it is related to the fuel feeding, but I can't relate it to the washing.

Can you please share some ideas how to solve it?

Thank you,

Durao

Sounds immobilizer-ish

no it doesn't it sounds like the fuel pump. Most immobilizer faults result in the vehicle at least starting only to then cut out.

If you cycle the ignition, you should hear the fuel pump priming. If it's not then that is the best place to start. Consider relay 109 as this can play havoc with the glow plug light and result in a non start condition.

Scan it again as well

Hi,

After leaving the car out of the garage and letting it dry with the help of the sun rays, the engine finally started. Unfortunately with no turbo boost, so it may only have half of the power, about 30hp :-)

The funny noise I've been listening to and now disappeared seems to be one of or the two vacuum valves that control either the turbocharger vanes or the EGR valve (engine code: AYZ and has a vacuum controlled EGR).

The error I got and now makes all the sense was:

18000 - Altitude sensor / boost pressure sensor: Implausible correlation

I will probably need to replace the sensor, perhaps the high moisture air I got on the car wash have damaged it, or it may need to be cleaned, do you know any procedure to avoid making more damage to the car?

Thank you for all the replies!

Almost two weeks after, and after replacing the MAP sensor by a new one (which leaded no improves), the car gained power again after turning the engine off and on again while driving a down sloped road at 60mph.

When the engine was restarted I could hear a 3-beep noise coming from the instruments and after engaging the 5th I noticed the car got the turbocharger working again.

This is strange, perhaps the car has its own mood.