Are all gearboxes the same ? gti, sdi, sport, tdi ?

Hello all,

at the minute i drive a vr6 corrado but have just been offered a better job that has quite a long commute, unfortunately this means the vr6' 28-30 mpg isnt good enough so will have to go.

I've had a lupo before (1.4s) and immediately had gearbox problems so got rid of the car, i was thinking with my new 100 mile per journey commute i could get an sdi lupo and chug along in that because i thought that the only lupo's with gearbox problems were the 1.4 and 1.0 models ? but having a flick through here i have seen a few diesels suffering the same bearing failure.

do all lupo's share the same/similar gearboxes and thus share the same problems ?

if they do is there still not a supplier who can mod and upgrade a gearbox so this problem wont surface ?

if i can get a car cheap enough i have no problem swapping a gearbox for a better one but was hoping i wouldnt have to if a bought an sdi ?

and on the subject does anyone know a mpg figure for an sdi ?

ta

Rich, if i had the spare cash i would be up for that but just dont have the funds at the minute, my selfish girlfriend got engaged to me a few weeks ago so theres a wedding (&stag do) on the horizon. thanks for the advice tho peeps, perhaps I'm just reading too much into the negative comments gearbox wise.

the thread for my vr6 is here if anyone wants a look -

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=83671