Weird misfire problem and missing door card plug?

Bibbles

Hello,

I recently brought a 2001 Lupo 1.0e the owner said it had a misfire problem he plugged it into diagnostics and gave it a run and both live and post data shown only misfire no pinpoint he said it could be a break in the injector loom wiring so brought a new loom (he is my old mechanic tutor from college so trusted his judgement) but before I go ripping wires out does anyone know what would cause it to periodically misfire and lose power whilst on motorways mainly but if you turn the key off and on it instantly clears. Any help would be super appreciated

Also anyone got a top left door card plug, mines vanished and can't find a replacement

Thanks

Billy

Did the engine management light start flashing? That's the car telling you it's misfiring. And when you plug in a code reader it will tell you which cylinder exactly, allowing you to pinpoint more accurately. Could be plugs, leads, coil pack or something else completely different?

Yeah it does flash then stays on and then some times I'll turn the car off and boom nothing? Should I check all the points you mention for corrosion before replacing the injector loom? Thanks

If I were you i'd get the exact fault codes first before throwing money around.

That sounds fair and more clever than my idea. The cars last owner tried but got no code but if it costs me nothing might as well try I guess...

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same issue's, I've replaced Leads, plugs, coil pack. Cleaned EGR valve and compression tested with no avale. I have also had it on a cheap dignostics plug in and it couldn't find it, but if worked fine with my brothers Seat and Polo. Time to bring a hammer out to see if that will fix it x-(