Malfuncation Indicator Light

Gherd78

Have VW Fox - Car for the last week and half has not been starting first time but would then start second or third time, but now the malfuncation indicator light came on and when I am driving every time I change gear the car spultters until I reach a certain speed, think it might be the spark plugs. I have had this problem before about 5 weeks ago but the guy I bought it off say he sorted the problem but it has started again and was wondering is it still ok to drive the car as I need it for work or will the problem it worse

You need to get it plugged into Vag Com mate and see if any faults show it.

The splutter is likely a missfire caused by leads, plugs or coilpack but short of replacing all 3 it's better to plug it in first or find a friend with the same car and swap the coilpack/leads to see if it cures.

By 'Malfunction indicator light' do you mean Engine Management Light? That could be anything really, I'd get something like a temp sensor/MAF sensor which could put the car into limp mode or make it run lumpy!