Gti exhaust covering my boot in black stuff?

It drives perfect, just crap coming out the back of it.

Worst comes to the worst I'll get a new engine. But I don't think it'll get that bad.........I hope ?

Edited by Benjamin

Could either be unburnt fuel or your cat

My ST use to belch clouds of black smoke when it was on the Stage 2+ map. Switching to a decat reduced it a bit, but didn't get rid of it. The ST is reknown for having some retarded timing set up that dumps fuel in the cylinder to cool it on throttle close, so I don't think a Lupo should be doing this.

As rich says, get leak test done and have a good italian tune up.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to not leave the thread with no answer. Took to a different garage, diagnosed straight away, piston rings. As I was told by the very knowledgable people here :)

Advised to drop the engine and rebuild. Approx £1500/£2000.

I'm actually going down after dealer on the 'sale of goods act' as the garage highlighted that stuff like that doesn't just happen, it'll have been a problem for a while. I've had the car 3months ish and done under 1000miles.

Dealer has already offered £750 towards repair, so he knows it was an issue and trying to fob me off.

I'll report back on how I get on.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Further update. Engine has been stripped for rebuild. As I understand it, it had heat seized (?) and required 2 new pistons.

Engine having loads of work done, re bored and other stuff I don't fully understand.

Main thing is, dealer is picking up the bill!!

Will be around 2k by the time it's finished. And I'm forking out for a few other bits to be done while the engine is out.

• Like 1

Cheers guys :) glad it's sorted just can't wait to get it back now!

Garage is FST automotive in scunthorpe, they send engines to a local guy called Alan Barrett, he's in his late 60s and although not quick, he does a proper job.

• 4 weeks later...

Slow progress. But my newly refurbished engine is now back on site at the garage. Total bill in the region of £1800 including two new pistons.

Apparently the garage has kept the labour cost down for the dealer being in 'the trade'.

I'll soon be starting a build thread as I've been collecting a few parts over the last couple of months, all being fitted in the next week or so.

AP coilovers, 15mm h&r spacers for the rear, new check strap for passenger side door, reverse light switch, and few other little bits.

Plan over winter is to have the bodywork tidied, wheel refurb and have it ready for use next year. All in all, four months of no lupo, but a victory over the stealers!