Air conditioning

Hello,

My GTI's air con has never worked since buying the car, so last week I had it re-gassed as a starting point. This has not solved the issue. When the AC button is pressed the pump 'clicks' but the fan doesn't run. When bridging the fan control wire the ac still doesn't work on both settings, so yeah. Any other suggestions as to what it could be?

The fan not running could be that the low speed resistor had burnt out. That won't stop the A/C working, unless your stationary and there's no airflow going through the A/C condenser.

You need to get it scanned with VCDS and check for any fault codes relating to the A/C.

I assume the air con unit has a low pressure switch which prevents the clutch on the pump from cutting in. With that in mind, I doubt it's something like a seized compressor. Might be an electrical issue. Checked the fuse? You might want to whip the heater controls out, check the connections, also check that heater resistor.

Yes, I mean the radiator fan too. It could well be the fan relay at fault, but they aren't cheap to replace which is why I'd say checking for fault codes first. Also, I wouldn't bother buying a cheap one off ebay unless you know it's genuine, a friend of mine spent ages trying to fix the A/C on his GTI and the new non-genuine relay was the problem!

EDIT: I assume by "nothing has arisen" then you mean there are no fault codes. So it's probably not low system pressure prenting it working.

Edited by jon_273

Apologies yeah. No AC fault codes registered, It has always been a thought of mine that the fan never ran but I only use the car to go work and back in which is all back lanes and never traffic. I will try and pick up a genuine relay and go from there

Update;

Now fitted an oem used working fan relay, the fan now picks up at temperature which the other one did not do. All fuses replaced inside engine bay.

Still no working air con, any other suggestions? The Pump (underneath the alternator?) Makes a loud clicking sound when the AC button is pressed, is that normal?

Still sounds like it could be a leak. I'd be tempted to take it to a air con health tester. They'll test your pipes etc