How to: Black your badges

I have seen black VW badges on eBay for about £15 each and decided to try and get the same effect the "Cheap" way!

1) Firstly, I removed the badges from both the front and the rear. For the front I had to remove the grille and the rear was just bonded on with a double sided tape.

2) I went and got all the things I needed from halfords.. A 800grit wet and dry pad, a Scotchbrite pad, a can of plastic filler primer and some Satin black.

3) I then cleaned the badge and grille with panel wipe and used scotch brite to rub down the badge, grill and letters.

4) when I was happy with them, I then put on the first coat of plastic filler primer.

5) after all the coat were on I left them to dry for about 1 hour until they were not tacky any more..

6) I then used a wet 800 pad to rub down the primer until it was smooth. then used the scotch to key the surface again. then it was ready for the satin black.

i put about 5 coats on the grill and badge and a few less for the letters..

7) Job done. the grille and badge were put back on the car and it was finished..

[Notes by nfbr:]

Images no longer hosted by this user so you guys will have to make do with the text only for now!

Edited by nfbr
Cleaned by: nfbr.
  • Like 1