Patricks Black GTI - Kinda Purple Now - Club Lupo Car To Watch Out For 2016 & Best Lupo GTI

patroddy

So when i purchased this car i always intended to make it go and stop as good as it looked, i didn't want to compromise how it drove just so it could look nice. i really enjoy giving this car a blast on the back roads etc so I've been going through and methodically upgrading to performance parts as and when required.

My Current List is:
AP Coilovers
Polubushed Wishbones

My next job is to G60 the brakes and below is the order I've just put into KAM :), just got to buy the brand new Carriers and some DOT4/5.1 fluid and I'm away.

2gxitep.png

Then I've got a list of finishing off all the polybushing, Rear ARB etc, then ill be looking at an exhaust etc so it will go as good as it looks :)

Plans sound spot on mate, polybushes are next on my list

i managed to get some wishbone sets and Front arb cheap when i purchased my coilovers so I've decided i may swell do the remaining bushed on the car while they've been done. Just to make it the best it can possibly be, I'm planning on doing a track day pretty soon with the coilovers, polybushes, ARB, bette brakes etc and then i want to fit air and I'm going to do another day to see how it compares, because you see that Airlift claim it doesn't effect it so id like to put it to the test :)

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday and today where the brakes fitting days, would have only took 1 day however when we fitted the braided hoses on the rear it was bit of a faff and it took a while to get them free but after we had learnt how to do it the other rear took a matter of 20 minutes to change the hose . Must say the G60 conversion, the crazy race spec pads and then the braided hose and new fluid has made the cars brakes something brutal aha!!

Here is the old setup, looking pretty boring, very crusty, and id managed to warp them that much they where as shaky as a shaky thing!!!

16552112192_387e65d9e9.jpgOld Setup by PRoddy95, on Flickr

The first change upfront was to the "G60" carriers i used some new TRW made carriers that Ray pointed me in the direction of, worked out cheaper than buying a second hand set and obviously i benefitted from them being brand new, had new slider pins etc so no worries of them sticking.

16365762990_75764c72f3.jpgOld vs New carriers by PRoddy95, on Flickr

Second change upfront was to Ferodo DS2500 Pads, when i was shopping around i found these to be the best available, i also had asked a few friends who said they had experienced them and they where a good shout!!. They did hurt my pockets a wee bit though!!

16365548568_fac243b331.jpgSilly Race Spec Pads by PRoddy95, on Flickr

16527211656_c1dcac01a3.jpgSilly Race Spec Pads by PRoddy95, on Flickr

The funny thing with them is everywhere you read they are classed as "Fast road to Light track day" however all the packaging would suggest full race specs ahaa!! The bedding in process even talks about "Pits Lanes" and "Track straights". So my pit lane was my friends drive and our track straight was the main road :shifty:

16367423607_b419b1f645.jpgRace Spec Yo by PRoddy95, on Flickr

Nicely all assembled :D

16367301547_1054a913d9.jpgNew Front Setup by PRoddy95, on Flickr

The next task once we had got the "G60" conversion done was to go round and change all the lines to the nice braided ones id purchased from KAM.

16365546368_8d654e9e3c.jpgNew Lines by PRoddy95, on Flickr

Heres the complete setup upfront with the Kam braided lines, Ferodo DS2500 and Brembo Max discs.

16527208836_4cf04b3e1d.jpgNew Complete Setup by PRoddy95, on Flickr

The front lines where a piece of cake! just unbolted and bolted straight back on, unfortunately the rears where a pain!

This is the small piece of line you have to change on the rear, its basically the tiny section that flexes between the hard line pipe on the main body of the car, and the hard line that runs along the beam and into the calliper. Because of its position its a pain to get to and meant my friend - who was doing most of the work was having to get into some crazy positions to do it. It really is a 2 man job tbh, nothing hard in principle just fidly as hell!

16367300807_744bded3e5.jpgOld Rear Lines by PRoddy95, on Flickr

New one to go in.

16552108942_26057874cc.jpgNew Rear Lines by PRoddy95, on Flickr

new one in place, unfortunately the holders where too small for the fixings on the new rear lines so when i get some time in the next week or so I'm going to go out and cut a slot, make the hole big enough then make another piece that just slots over and screws in place so they're locked in without me having to unbolt the lines and rebleed the system.

16365546078_b4f21fae55.jpgNew Rear Lines by PRoddy95, on Flickr

Once all the lines were on we went round and bled the system fully :) but Motul RBF600 in so its decent fluid that can take some heat. The scary thing when looking at the fluid that was coming out is the amount of dirt and crap that was hidden in there. it came out black.

16366927789_0aca6e5a5f.jpgHorrible Old Fluid by PRoddy95, on Flickr

This with the mixed of the warped discs etc would most likely explain all the problems i was having with braking ahaa!!

All done :) Just got to do a few miles more of bedding everything in, then ill give them some abuse and next weekend we shall bleed them again just to make sure its perfect :).

I had ferodo on my old STs great pads tbh good job!

they are the thing i enjoy is if i just drive them like a normal set of brakes they don't make as much dust but they also work just as nicely and the pedal isn't harsh so you don't chuck yourself forward etc, so normal day to day driving isn't effected. However the second you give them a good old hammer they work amazing!! like today i was on the m1 and someone pulled out on me, they worked perfectly I'm pretty sure if i was using standard setup it would have been alot closer than it was!

Looking good mate. Did you get the rear small hoses for the mk2-mk4 conversion and make new lines from the axle to the caliper or have you kept them standard?

Also if you don't mind where did you get the carriers from?

Cheers Martyn

Looking good mate. Did you get the rear small hoses for the mk2-mk4 conversion and make new lines from the axle to the caliper or have you kept them standard?

Also if you don't mind where did you get the carriers from?

Cheers Martyn

Looking good. So where did you get the carriers from?

Interested in the brake line kit, is that a 4 piece plus an addition small braided line without a black cover?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004Z0YIJA?ref_=tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_i1 these are the carriers :) so much better than getting used / refurbed carriers. TRW also make alot of OEM parts so the quality is spot on!!

http://www.kamracing.co.uk/kam-racing-fully-stainless-steel-braided-brake-lines-choice-of-colour-vw-lupo-1-6-16v-gti.html these are the hoses, its a 4 piece kit that is designed for a Lupo GTI, so no need to mess around with conversion kits etc and i have just used the standard steel lines form axle to calliper as they won't expand.

Pete and no its all 4 lines are braided then i chose "carbon effect" which is just a light grey sleeve over the braid to make it look like carbon :) just keeps all the crap out of the brades.

Thanks mate

They are super cheap compered to everywhere else ordered a set and will get thrown in with my list of parts to be fitted.

Thanks mate

They are super cheap compered to everywhere else ordered a set and will get thrown in with my list of parts to be fitted.

Yep and the best thing about it is instead of paying £70 for shitty used ones you can pay £55 and they come with brand new slider pins etc! Makes so much sense!

• 4 months later...

Well the car has been booked in at the bodyshop for a while now and September (when he goes in) is fast approaching so I'm now starting to hit all the things off my list that needed doing before hand.

Last weeks stuff hit of the list where:-

-Polybushed wishbones,

-New Trackrods and Rod Ends

-New Bottom Ball Joints

-New Wheel Bearings

-1 new hub rotor (The bit the abs ring and threads for bolts) as it turned out mine wasn't being held in by the bearing and for months had been dangerous!

-pollen filter

-oil filter

-oil change

Service bits i still need to do are gear box oil as my spline drive wouldn't fit because of the silly hole the plug has in the middle! and a fuel filter as i couldn't get the old one off then it started to tip it down so i retired for the evening!

I also need to fit the BMC filter i have but I'm currently waiting for all the piping and catch can i need to be delivered :).

Finally on my list of the things to do is fit the whittling Rear ARB - but once again I'm waiting for that to be delivered :).

28v4lyg.jpg

Polybushed wishbones painted race car red :) because race car!

oh yer ;) one last thing :) i kinda stopped mincing too and fitted Air :P I've had it lying around the house now since UD and just never fitted it ahaa! so did it last week :). So yer i kinda love the car to a new level! when i took the layer of road grime and dirt off it thats bene attached to the paintwork from like 3 months worth of driving i remembered how much i loved it!!

IMG_6214.jpg

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6216.jpg

as you can see in the pictures theres a little bit of a booboo on the body work from where people havent been carful where parking up but that will all be fixed in september :). it still needs a notch as the drivers side sits alot higher :) but yer heres the update :) small and boring.

Any pics of it fully dropped mate?

thats it all the way down at the minute, it still needs notching on the front, and I'm sure its sitting on the tyres all round, and it still has a front arb in so its still got alot restricting how low is it is.

i know the fronts can go lower because its stops going down when theres like 25psi still in the bag, and the rears just need smaller tyres i think

Ah ok, my silver one seemed to drop more than that that's all with bathursts with roll bars and liners in, and my black one obv drops further with the chassis and roll bar out, dunno if the liners are making a difference tbh.

Ah ok, my silver one seemed to drop more than that that's all with bathursts with roll bars and liners in, and my black one obv drops further with the chassis and roll bar out, dunno if the liners are making a difference tbh.

Blaine said I've got exactly the same setup as you so there shouldn't be any difference at all, the polybush wishbones could restrict it too.

• 1 month later...

2n6helt.jpg

Got bored of the bathursts so put so BBS RZ's on as dailies :) really suit the car and look 100x better than the Bathursts :) no more major updates from now on as i want to keep it a surprise :D

Sorry patrick but i think it looks terrible, i was never into the mega low scene

Shame to see the lup follow the trend

I turn my head at oem lupo gti now

But what do i know in a mk4 golf r32...

Sorry patrick but i think it looks terrible, i was never into the mega low scene

Shame to see the lup follow the trend

I turn my head at oem lupo gti now

But what do i know in a mk4 golf r32...

:) yer i know its not everyones taste, however i love it. best thing is if i want it to look standard and not silly low ... i just air up :P just so much more practical.