Lupo 3L - should it stay or should it go?

woodyrvf750

Like many of us car enthusiasts I have a dilemma that I'd like to share with the forum and ask your advice.

I have a road tax free 2001 Lupo 3l with just under 70,000 miles on the clock. It's spent all it's life in the UK imported new by the previous owner. I've taken it from 70,000 km to just under 110,000 km in the 3 years I've owned it.

Since I've had it I've serviced it myself with good qualify oil every 10,000 km, had both front wheel hubs changed and bought the necessary software to be able to do the 'basic setting' on the gearbox which I actually enjoy doing! It's also had a new pressure cylinder for the gear change mechanism.

Apart from that, nothing. It just keeps free wheeling along returning an average of 91 mpg.

I have recently bought a 2010 BMW 330d Touring with a manual gearbox, which should average around 48 mpg. I previously had, for a short while a 2001 RS4 so had a very good reason to hang on to the Lupo but with a more sensible family vehicle arriving soon there is less justification to keep the 3L.

The Lupo costs about £250 to insure, zero tax.

My question is; what would you do? Keep or Sell?

Edited by woodyrvf750

Sell it, after a while you'll be going from the BMW to the Lupo and complain how tacky everything feels, even thought german cars have good quality interior, you'll notice the difference

Woody, remember to let me know when you decide what you're doing ;):D I'll give you a very sensible offer :)

Wait for the bimmer and see which one is your favourite and go from there. You'll probably have no problem selling the 3l now or in 5 years no matter what you decide.

Edited by Elz8462

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love the 330d.

The 3L is however better at doing what it is designed to do, the ride quality is amazing for a small car and if it's not a scorching hot day the Lupo is just as good to take on a journey.

So I'm keeping the Lupo and now have to put a new cam belt on it as I think the last one was changed in 2007. I was surprised that the MOT station wouldn't MOT it after I told them the cam belt was due for a change. Audi Stratford upon Avon has quoted me £387 to replace belt and water pump with genuine VAG parts.

I absolutely love the 330d.

The 3L is however better at doing what it is designed to do, the ride quality is amazing for a small car and if it's not a scorching hot day the Lupo is just as good to take on a journey.

So I'm keeping the Lupo and now have to put a new cam belt on it as I think the last one was changed in 2007. I was surprised that the MOT station wouldn't MOT it after I told them the cam belt was due for a change. Audi Stratford upon Avon has quoted me £387 to replace belt and water pump with genuine VAG parts.

Bahhh, Woody, one day you'll sell it to me hopefully :D

get in line there's a que forming haha

Standard for a 3L. Makes you wonder in this day and age why VW don't re-introduce the Lupo 3L.

Standard for a 3L. Makes you wonder in this day and age why VW don't re-introduce the Lupo 3L.

I'd be up for a vw up! With a small common rail engine. Either a 1l or a. 1.4d. Give it 100-120bhp and a wide torque spread. Could call it the save up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've decided to sell the 3l.

It's not being used since the arrival of the 2010 BMW 330d SE touring (manual), which is a hoot.

69,000 miles

New genuine VW cambelt & water pump fitted by Audi Stratford in July 2014 + MOT

Two new front hubs in my ownership.

Gearbox is perfect, basic setting done very recently.

New genuine front discs and pads fitted in last 300 miles as discs were advisory on MOT

Car is based in Stratford-upon-Avon.

Car has been in UK since new. Full service history. 2 previous owners (husband and wife)

It's Silver with light grey interior.

£4600 no offers.

Only reason for sale is that we have just got planning permission for an extension and the house will turn into a building site for most of 2015 so it will probably be good to get it out of the way. If you are interested then please contact me but be prepared to pay the asking price, otherwise I'll just tuck it up under several covers and hang on to it. Thanks..