Arosa TDI Remap time

r0ssi_tdi

Got my Arosa booked in for a Remap on 17th May with Vince @ Stealth Racing. Looking forward to seeing him work his magic!

I asked him on the phone is there anything i can do with the car before it to make sure its ready to go, he said no just make sure its up to date service wise, wheel bearings and tyre pressures are ok and thats about it.

Does anyone have any advice to make sure its at its best? its totally standard, carried out a full fluid change on it 5k ago, and new wheel bearings and tyres put on this week.

Ross

Mine was mapped on regular Shell diesel (Diesel Extra as it was called at the time), I did think of filling it with V-Power but didn't plan on using it all the time. Who knows if it makes a difference... If you read up on the Shell website they only really promote the cleaning properties of V-Power Diesel, and don't say a lot about enhanced performance like they do with V-Power petrol. I used to sue Forte Diesel Treatment so already had the fuel system cleaning covered.

You can also spray air intake cleaner into the inlet with the engine running. Get someone to hold it at about 2krpm and spray in bursts downstream of the MAF sensor.

Make sure you post your graphs up when it's done!

Oh I will do don't worry about that!

Hoping for around 25bhp and 40ft lbs increase... I know figures are for pub talk but it's a good indicator when you get a before and after reading I guess.

Anyone else been to stealth? If so what were your figures and do you have any print outs??

I'm looking into get mine mapped once i fix or replace my turbo, let me know the outcome and if it's worth the money for that extra 25bhp and if your car runs any different, I've also got a piece of pipe to weld in to decat and desilence it :)

I'm looking into get mine mapped once i fix or replace my turbo, let me know the outcome and if it's worth the money for that extra 25bhp and if your car runs any different, I've also got a piece of pipe to weld in to decat and desilence it :)

It's worth it. Trust me. You can do it yourself for about £50. I did it on my brothers and a few guys have done it on here. Same map unless your getting it custom.

I was going to pay someone 200 pound to do it but 50 sounds a lot better, where do i get the map from and what will i need, im quite handy with cars and computers so I'd be able to do it myself

He's supposed to be a good guy that blacksmoke. If you **** it up and brick your ECU, you can send him your ECU and he'll fix it. Seems to have a good reputation.

I would like to compare a generic remap to a custom one. There's a lot of snobbery on the Internet. "if you have a generic remap it'll over-fuel your car and you'll never get the desired performance". I've seen that corker a while, but the whole point fuel injected cars is to NOT over-fuel, so I'll reserve judgement ;)

He's supposed to be a good guy that blacksmoke. If you **** it up and brick your ECU, you can send him your ECU and he'll fix it. Seems to have a good reputation.

I would like to compare a generic remap to a custom one. There's a lot of snobbery on the Internet. "if you have a generic remap it'll over-fuel your car and you'll never get the desired performance". I've seen that corker a while, but the whole point fuel injected cars is to NOT over-fuel, so I'll reserve judgement ;)

Whilst not really applicable here, there's lots of proof to show the benefits of a live map on Focus ST's.

One comment I would make is that with live mapping is that it takes a lot longer and you start chasing the dragon, going for a few hp more, pushing the engine.

I ran a standard map on my ST as they are usually tuned for drivability and reliability. Still made good power but you'll rarely make claimed maximum figures. However it made more power over a wider rpm band, so was much more usable day to day.

Before you get a map, speak to the tuner and explain the kind of driving you do and the performance you're looking for and any decent tuner should be able to inform you. If they can't find someone else!

I agree with Kari. There is a difference. More so on performance cars where mods are involved. But engines are different and can perform slightly differently. Would I pay a lot of money to thr arosa no. If I had a modded performance car would I custom map it yes. So you have to weigh to the £ to benifit ratio. I disagree about it simply over furling but it you will always get a better map when it's custom.

I'm only paying £225+VAT, for this I get a before and after figure and a custom map so not too fussed at paying a little extra.

Will post results and pictures of graphs after it's been done on Saturday.

So today started off pretty badly. I recently had the ball joints changed on the little arosa so the tracking was out quite badly, my own fault really, I should have had it checked before going to see Vince @ Stealth Racing. So, after a quick trip to get that sorted, the car was thrown back on the rollers for mapping.

image.jpg

The car pulled 85bhp and 159 ft lbs of torque standard which Vince told me was the norm for these cars apparently. It ended up on 103bhp and 182ft lbs of torque.

I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of how it would feel straight after mapping. So I'll try my best to explain it. Before mapping the car felt very punchy and had a very small power band so torque came in very suddenly then died off over 3,000rpm. Now it comes in a little earlier, and stays smooth right up to 4,000rpm. In terms of performance gains, I have to say I'm quite shocked! On the way there my mate and I did a few tests on flat roads. 40-70 in 3rd took 10.58 seconds standard, after mapping that was 8.88. 50-70 in 4th took 8.86 standard, and 6.85 after mapping. Through the gears from 30-70 starting in 2nd and changing up at 4,000rpm took 11.34, but after mapping was 8.26!!

So in a nutshell the car now feels far more responsive, and once rolling has a lot more useable power that really does get you up to speed a lot quicker! Pretty happy with the outcome. Here are the graphs

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg

• Like 1

Is it worth getting mapped then ross? I've finally fixed my car so time to get it mapped

Absolutely mate. The more i drive it the more i notice how much quicker it is. Ive ran a tank of fuel through it too and MPG is ever so slightly better, and ive been giving it the beans quite a lot to remind myself of how much better it is. With the new power, im noticing that i dont have to drive it so hard to get up to speeds now, where as before i was having to nail it up to 3k every gear to get anywhere.

Its a no brainer in my opinion, GET IT DONE!

• Like 2

I'll be getting it done then, my mate can get it done for me for 100 pound, he had his 130 bora mapped to 185 and it's quick, should be getting it done in a few weeks hopefully, can't wait now haa :)

You should go and get a RR done before and after to see your gains.... Post them up on here!

Well ive put another tank of fuel through it and MPG is up a fair bit. Im driving this even harder now with the new found power and im up to 20-30 Miles extra per tank so really happy with it!