Colin/ Casper hybrid.... Fizo's version

Fizo

Hi, for all of you that don't know me im Paul who bought Colin's former raven gti. Now this isnt going to be your average build thread, i dont often come on here so there are lack of pictures to the various mods i have done. My apologies, but i have included the pictures of progress i have......I thought some people would like to know what happened to it and that its not vanished off the face of the earth.

I first got in contact with colin in January 2011 regarding his epic lupo, as soon as i laid eyes on it that was it i had to have it.....so at the end of the month myself and my brother (Thissy) set off on the long journey up to sunny aberdeen to collect it. As many of you well know colin did a fantastic job on the car and there was alot to live upto. It came with a full vw service history, very well maintained with just over 37,000 miles on the clock. I am now the 3rd owner from new.

206893_10150527888110635_7411751_n_zps70

As you can see as soon as i got it home i stared tinkering.

-Sent the bathursts off to be sprayed in anthracite gray

-Fitted a full custom exhaust with ashley manifold and de-cat that i had on my previous arosa sport

-BMC induction kit with sanco hoses (routed fattys way)

-Tinted headlights and sidlights with laminex subtle tint

-Private plate L600 UPO

lupo1_zps6583552c.jpg

lupo5_zpsf6ca7bf8.jpg

Next on the list was wheels so i saved up and trolled the net for either bbs rs or schmidt th lines. Eventually i found a set of th lines on here. They were finished with purple centers, (15") 8J fronts 9j rears, with a ridicules stretch of 165 nankangs all round.

419352_10151368458030427_1047321649_n_zp

After a trial fit on the car i decided it was to much poke for my liking (as i do like to push on) I ended up stripping the wheels down, sent the centers off to be acid dipped and finished them in anthracite grey. I sold the 3" dishes, used the 2" dishes for the rears making them 8.5J, bought 1.5" radinox dishes for the front making them 7.5J. Replaced all 80 bolts and wrapped them in toyo t1r's.

At this point i also purchased a janspeed cat back system, ashley 200 cel sports cat, sprayed lcr splitter gloss black and anthracite badge.

IMG_0044_zpsd8b393b7.jpg

LupoGTi_zps31983633.jpg

IMG_0099_zps05f67e93.jpg

It was my daily driver at this point and i was racking up to many miles commuting to work ect. So in june 2012 i ended up biting the bullet and purchased a polo 6n2 1.4 tdi to use as my daily. This meant the lupo could be garaged over winter and brought back out to play in spring/summer.

These is the only pictured i have of the polo, on the schmidts, bilsein coilovers (were shite) gti front bumper and xenon's. I usually run my bathursts on it.

P1010660_zps2d12f122.jpg

My brother bought a full AAS system for his gti (mattys). After he purchased a mk1 series one golf gti he had to sell his lupo to fund it. After negotiating a price i ended up with the AAS system :D. Absolutely brilliant system, the engineering involved is second to none. You can swap de-cat section for cat section, all bolts together, two and a quarter inch bore throughout, 3' twin tip, fits like a glove.

Purchased a whiteline rear arb. I set it to medium when i first put it on, but after taking it out it seemed very twitchy so reverted back to soft. Absolutely spot on now, by far the best mod i have purchased! They wernt lying about what it says on the disclaimer after purchase, it does completely change the feel of your car, defiantly for the better.

Had a lupo gti front bumper lying around so thought it would be a good idea to have a second bumper for shows. Sent it to a local body shop to have plate recess smoothed and lcr splitter sprayed in anthracite. This means im not to fussed about getting stone chips on the original bumper because i have one purely for shows.

I saw john was breaking his car so began messaging him about his engine. I didnt opt for the charger as my plan all along was high revs so i purchased the following....

-Complete block with Je forged pistons/ Carillio rods

-AVY cylinder head p&p

-Jenvey throttle bodies

-Emerald K3 ecu

-Wide band lambda

- Egt sensor

-Helix 4 paddle cluch

-Lightened flywheel

-modded gti clocks

I didnt have the money to do the full conversion at this time so i ended up putting the engine in as it was with forged block and P&P head. Before hand i stripped engine down to paint the block and gearbox (left head as i was planning on using an AFH head in the future) changed cam belt, head gasket, head bolts, water pump, oil change and filter ect. Also bought new water bottle and washer bottle because they were looking a bit tiered.

I wanted to keep the original engine for the car with the original clocks. This means in the feature if i ever did sell it then i can put original engine back in car to sell (on 47,000 ish), and put the beast in another lupo for a track car. Well that would be the plan. I had casper's clocks re-calibrated to the correct milage for the car so all MOT's will be correct in the future.

Here is a pics of the engine when i received it off casper

engine_zps7f0e4b1d.jpg

And a few from when it was fitted on 2nd Janruary 2013 (apologies for lack of quality)

IMG_0206_zpsacf77ccd.jpg

IMG_0212_zpsdbf6b480.jpg

My brother bought mitches old lupo. It ended up having a blown head gasket after traveling to aberdeen to collect it. This meant an eventful AA truck ride back from aberdeen to cumbria. With it not being on the road i nicked a few goodies off it for cumria vag.

Here are a few pics of pre clean and cumbria vag......

IMG_0086_zps0f55fc30.jpg

IMG_0464_zps1c994493.jpg

IMG_0463_zps765f2f7b.jpg

IMG_0258_zps0eb43fce.jpg

I had the engine fitted roughly 7 months, and all was going well. This was until i thought it would be a good idea one night to borrow my mates go-pro hero 3 to get a video. Lest just say the outcome wasn't good at all, if you care to view it type in vw lupo go pro on youtube.

The fan belt shredded, wrapped around the crank pulley causing it to skip 4 teeth= 16 bent valves :(

People may say its not as clean as when colin had it, but at the end of the day it does get driven. I do my best to keep it in the best condition i can but it does suffer a few stone chip hear and there. Whats the point in having a car if you don't use it to its full potential?

So for the second time in a year the engine came back out...

IMG_0186_zpsae87d0e4.jpg

IMG_0189_zps0bf58f35.jpg

This is the point where i decided i was to go ahead with the full conversion. Mike sold some parts to dogwood and after having a conversation about my plans with him he recommended a firm called JMR Developments. Since then myself and mike contacted jason and explained my build, he seemed very enthusiastic about it and reckoned 200bph revving to 9k can be achieved. Anyhow I started spending the majority of my waged to collect parts need. This is a complete list what the engine will consist of....

-AVY block with JE forged pistons/ Carillio rods

-AFH cylinder head P&P

-Cams (of his choice)

-Solid lifters

-Up-rated valve springs

-Vernier pulleys

-Jenvey throttle bodies, fuel rail, trumpets (of his choice)

-Emerald K3 ecu

-Wide band lambda

-Helix 4 paddle cluch

-Lightened and balanced flywheel & crank

-Quaife differential

-AVY head gasket, cam belt, water pump, idler pulley, stem seals, valve guides, rocker cover seals & bolts, big end bearings, main bearings

-AFH fan belt, head gasket, engine mounts, plastic pulley casings

-AER head bolts

-Spa designs rev gauge (revs to 9k) with shift lights

-Audi A1 blower unit housing rev gauge

Here are a few pics of various parts i have sprayed or modified.......

Lupo/A1 hybrid rev gauge mount

IMG_0441_zpsf5d6d7c8.jpg

IMG_0445_zps9996304e.jpg

AFH head with bodies mounted

IMG_0256_zpsb9f0833d.jpg

IMG_0268_zpsb3825c29.jpg

My car is currently down at JMR having work done and hopefully ready at the start of june. I cant wait!

I know this isnt the usual way of doing a build thread but i have included as much information as i can. I will try and not be so useless and keep this post updated with progress from now on.

Paul

Edited by Fizo
  • Like 1

This is awesome!

Cheers mate :yes:

I've decided to follow this one as I feel something special is happening here!

Thanks, yeah all is going to plan so far, apart from the money side of things haha :surprised:

This is defiantly going to get followed, this is so rad! keep up the good progress man!!

Much appreciated mate, i sure will :thumbsup:

Awesome! You have probably the best GTI and best engine this forum has seen and put them both together. This is going to very, very good!

Alex

Cheers Alex, the outcome should be immense :thumbsup: getting itchy feet now.

Just read your thread, puma is looking very good! The amount of hard work gone into it is nuts, way better than factory :clap:

People may say its not as clean as when colin had it, but at the end of the day it does get driven. I do my best to keep it in the best condition i can but it does suffer a few stone chip hear and there. Whats the point in having a car if you don't use it to its full potential?

Love this. Lupo GTIs are great drivers cars and need to be driven, not just shown.

Looks great so far. Cant wait to see what its like in June!

Love this. Lupo GTIs are great drivers cars and need to be driven, not just shown.

Looks great so far. Cant wait to see what its like in June!

Thanks, yes agreed they are fantastic, handling and performance wise with few modifications.

me too, il keep you posted.

Hi paul the lupo is looking great i can sympathise with you with the bent valves happened to me on the way home from gti international in 2007 at 100 mph on the m1 your plans look interesting i spoke to you and your brother a couple of years ago at cumbria vag i think i even offered to buy your interior before i had mine redone so glad youve still got the lupo love! i also agree with you on the cars are for driving hard from time to time not scrapping over everthing, thats why i got a gti engine fitted and have my coilovers at a drivable height whilst still low ill be keeping an eye out for future updates

Carl

Edited by dubsy

Hi paul the lupo is looking great i can sympathise with you with the bent valves happened to me on the way home from gti international in 2007 at 100 mph on the m1 your plans look interesting i spoke to you and your brother a couple of years ago at cumbria vag i think i even offered to buy your interior before i had mine redone so glad youve still got the lupo love ill keep an eye out for future updates

Carl

Hi mate, yes i remember speaking to you at cumbria vag. I know its an absolute ball ache, but at the end of the day i suppose it gave me a reason to crack on with the engine side of things. Luckily i wasnt flat out coming into a corner when went bang. The fan belt put a nick in the power steering hose, dumped fluid everywhere and lets say i had limited steering lol. Mike was on your thread a few weeks ago showing me your interior and it looks awesome, love it! oh iv still got the lupo love.....il keep you posted

Edited by Fizo

Cheers Alex, the outcome should be immense :thumbsup: getting itchy feet now.

Just read your thread, puma is looking very good! The amount of hard work gone into it is nuts, way better than factory :clap:

Thanks Paul, its come a long way over the past couple of years. Miss my old GTI still, keeping looking to buy one as a daily :)

I don't come on here much, but when i do i always look out for a build thread about my engine!

Im happy to finally see a thread. After all the conversations we had about it I'm glad to finally see it showing its face.

Looking forward to seeing the re incarnation.

To be honest, you took two of the best GTi's around at that time, and have brought them together..... (IMHO anyway, but i may be biased ;) )

Good luck with the rest of the build.

John

I don't come on here much, but when i do i always look out for a build thread about my engine!

Im happy to finally see a thread. After all the conversations we had about it I'm glad to finally see it showing its face.

Looking forward to seeing the re incarnation.

To be honest, you took two of the best GTi's around at that time, and have brought them together..... (IMHO anyway, but i may be biased ;) )

Good luck with the rest of the build.

John

Cheers John. Yeah I agree. It will be interesting to see exactly what power can be achieved as a N/A engine. Apparently It's quite possible the pistons won't make enough compression for what I'm aiming for. It may be a case of another set of pistons to suit the carillo rods. But we will see soon enough, Jason is hoping to get around 11.8.1 to make the 200bhp mark. Obviously compression can be made on the current setup it just whether it's enough with valve clearances etc. Either way buying your bottom end and the other parts will have been the best option financially. Nice to see progress after it's taken along time to gather all the parts for the rebuild as a Avy/Afh hybrid. Passed on to another pair of safe hand to work his magic and finish it off.. Can't wait!

Made it into the final 5 of auto finess share n shine competition on fb, give it a like if you think it's worthy :)

• 4 weeks later...

Christmas came early!

auto2_zps48517b86.jpg

auto_zps6407807d.jpg

It stated £200 worth of stuff when i entered the competition but iv been on af site and it ads upto around the £420 mark! Absolutely made up, just need a car to detail now :/

• 1 year later...

I havent been on here in ages.

Great to see the Lupo getting taken to the next level.

Makes me want it back,can't believe it's coming up for 5 years since you bought it Paul.

First dibs.

• 1 year later...