02 Arosa TDi cutting out

Battery is less than a year old, car starts fine 9 out of 10 sometimes takes a couple of tries.

just thought! - another symptom, once the car has started sometimes if i increase the revs it will cut out or if i do it slowly it will start to splutter around 2k any higher and it will cut out.

If let go and it sits around 960-1k again. After a min if i try again it will be fine.

Thanks

Edited by sharktech

Listen for the in tank pump sloshing fuel to the engine when ignition on before start. Should do it every time.

If it doesnt start in 3 seconds of cranking turn off and on again, does it then start?

is that cut out at the exact same location every day? Could be some strong emf or other noise there maybe??

Cam sensor should be next on the list though.

You might want to find the ecu and unplug and reconnect the main connectors a few times to clean the contacts as well. Look for green corrosion in the contacts and wires near the plugs (individual wires will be very stiff)

Injector looms are prone to breaking down as they get a lot of heat stress and sit in oil, but that usually presents as misfires, but should be on your list to check over.

Edited by Sausage

Just now, Rich said:

if you're trying to google a solution, a pd engine is a pd engine, you can look at golfs, passats etc, all use edc15.

Cheers Rich, will keep that in mind. i've found very small amount of info/videos on lupo but polo always comes up

Yeah I didnt word that very well, if the fuel pressure is sufficient it wont prime the fuel, so if you have just turned it on and it has primed it wont do it again straight after, but if it has been sitting for a while it should do it every time. 

Just now, Sausage said:

Yeah I didnt word that very well, if the fuel pressure is sufficient it wont prime the fuel, so if you have just turned it on and it has primed it wont do it again straight after, but if it has been sitting for a while it should do it every time. 

Will go walk down in a min and check then i can check when i leave, thats something i've heard but never paid loads of attention to lol

Not being funny but the majority of people on here that ask for help don’t even know what a rev is, let alone what it may mean in relation to a fault, it’s a good job you don’t pick up on everything they all get wrapped round their heads.

I think the compassionate thing to do would be to just go with it as you have a better understanding of what they MEAN, not what they TYPED. As I say, we knew what they meant. Or you could’ve just let them know where they’ve gone wrong, as it’s obvious the car isn’t physically capable of doing that many rpm.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not being funny but the majority of people on here that ask for help don’t even know what a rev is, let alone what it may mean in relation to a fault, it’s a good job you don’t pick up on everything they all get wrapped round their heads.

I think the compassionate thing to do would be to just go with it as you have a better understanding of what they MEAN, not what they TYPED. As I say, we knew what they meant. Or you could’ve just let them know where they’ve gone wrong, as it’s obvious the car isn’t physically capable of doing that many rpm.

Are you having a bad day? Don't take it so seriously.

Just a thought, you could use Vagcom/VCDS to monitor the sensor, or log the data whilst driving along. See if any signal suddenly stop or stray from the norm around the times you're having the issue :)

Edited by cj1