Lupo Gti

Ropers101

This is my 2001 Lupo Gti which I have recently bought with 47k on the clock.I'm the second owner from new and I got it with intentions to spend some time and money on it to get it back to the way it should be as it has a few problems due to it being neglected! The main issues are the electric windows and the central locking are playing up but apart from that it just needs a good going over and a service! The car is completely standard but I'm planning on making some modifications to it as soon as the main issues are out of the way.

20140321_152907_zpse6cc56b5.jpg

20140321_152819_zpsb53aa0be.jpg

20140326_093001_zpsc09bcee0.jpg

Hello mate, excellent choice of car I must say.

Got myself a Lupo Gti last from the UK last October, brilliant choice for driving round the island.

Have considered lowering it a little eventually but at the moment as it stands it's standard.

Ah right,nice to know that people are familiar with Jersey! And how many do you think are over here on the Islands then,cant imagine there are many? Think I've only seen like 4 different ones! But yeah I'm defiantly going to lower it a little because the body roll at the moment is just too much haha!

Ah right,nice to know that people are familiar with Jersey! And how many do you think are over here on the Islands then,cant imagine there are many? Think I've only seen like 4 different ones! But yeah I'm defiantly going to lower it a little because the body roll at the moment is just too much haha!

Yeah there's only a few Gti's over here, with you that makes five. 2 Black, 2 Silver 1 Red.

On the other hand there are actually a rather large amount of other Lupos around. A very popular choice so it seems, and some really mint ones too - seen a White one which I've been eyeing up.

You need to get the suspension sorted and get it up the Bouley Bay Hill climb!

Yeah me and some friends are currently working on a Hill climb project. We found a cheap Corrado to play with. All we need now is some better weather and some free time.. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1381566&mid=295987&nmt=1989+VW+Corrado

Edit: ..but I have cheekily thought about chucking the Lupo up it too eventually.

Edited by fuzz42

• 4 months later...

Here are some pictures of some bodywork issues on my GTI,some scratches down the drivers side,a small dent,chipping on the lower front bumper and some missing paint off the passenger side arch! some images of how bad the wheels are curbed and stained. Plan is to get them re done in some sort of grey wrapped in toyo proxies 195/45/15.

20140806_133941_zps314d7679.jpg

20140806_133948_zps56801942.jpg

20140806_133952_zps15c22847.jpg

20140806_134158_zps012a9697.jpg

20140806_134117_zpsc557e8fa.jpg

20140806_134014_zps0a8d9d0d.jpg

Also shows how my calipers are pink now :D getting them resprayed at the same time as the wheels getting done!

20140809_154354_zps3vktipoa.jpg

Also got a red grille trim which came down looking pink :/ gonna put it on seeing as I bought it to see what it looks like on the car.

20140811_165221_zpsrlp6mdby.jpg#

Dirty engine bay.Decided to fit new spark plugs but didn't have a 16mm deep socket handy ):

20140811_165234_zpskf2xjk6s.jpg

New Alternator after my old one packed up.

20140812_165902_zpsu7xy4v7g.jpg

A shot after being cleaned,still sitting high though ): got a cambelt and waterpump kit coming down so that's the next job.

• 3 weeks later...

You commented on my desperate cry for help haha, nice car...was very confused about the plate until someone said Jersey haha. Sweet car dude, even with the paint issues still very clean. Inspires me to get on with mine haha

Yes Daniel they are bbs rz, silly me! They are from a bmw! And yeah I'm from jersey :) the car is coming along slowly as funds aren't coming in like they used to :( just ordered some bits to give it a service. And bibbles it's always worth getting the job done :)

• 1 year later...

Re posting on here now as I've started doing work to my Lupo again,it's been a long time since I've updated but the car has had nothing done to it. Recently it has had 

All new Mtec brake disks and pads 

Cambelt and water pump

drivers side window switch 

passenger side check strap

Full service with all new oils and filters.

New thermostat and housing 

I've probably missed the odd thing out on that list but the work is continuing as ive already got more parts coming. Trying to bring this GTI back to life. Anyway today I took all of my wheels off because I wanted to make my pink callipers red again. With enough time and effort I managed to clean them up pretty nicely and polish them up back to red. While I was there I removed all the settled brake dust I could from the Bathursts,there is a little left but it wasn't coming off. I'm intending on getting them refurbished anyway because of the curbing.

Hopefully next weekend it's not raining so that I can give the bodywork some attention,hopefully my magifoam will have arrived by then. 

Does anybody have any advice on keeping the surfice rust away on the disks? It looks horrible. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So tonight I'm taking a look at one of my keys. When I bought the car I was given two keys. Neither of them worked from the remote to unlock the car I've always put the key in the door to unlock the car. The central locking works but the only thing is when I unlock the car only the drivers side unlockes,is this normal? I have to get in the car and click the button on the window switch to unlock the passenger side door. 

Anyway I want to be able to lock and unlock my car from the buttons so I'm hoping that it will be as easy as replacing the battery inside although I doubt that it's going to be that simple. I will re post once the new battery is in and will see what happens. 

image.jpeg

Have you tried pressing unlock 2/3 times to see if that unlocks the passenger side? Some units are coding and can be modified to allow both to unlock on one click or just the drivers on one click and passenger on two.

Kind of a safety feature to stop anyone on the opposite side of the car jumping in it and robbing any stuff from the car as you unlock it from the other side.